Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 09:45 PM
    No time to diet or exercise.
    What are some suggestions for losing weight for someone that works 10-19 hours a day?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 12:11 AM
    Got to start with your diet. How's your diet?
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
    I eat what is convienent. That's what I mean, I don't have time to grocery shop regularly and prepare nice healthy lunchs. If I'm at the vision center (located in a retailer), I can go buy a sandwich and a fruit. But the other job is 11pm-9am, so I usually get something at the convient store that's close or at mcdonald's... which is the only close restaurant. My diet has been suffering drastically since starting both jobs.
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Aug 19, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Continue to make your health a priority in your life by focusing on healthy and nutritious snacks and foods.

I highly recommend planning as many meals and snacks as possible because you do not want to abuse your body with unhealthy foods.

Here is a sample of days menu for a very busy person (what I would call "quick to prepare").

Breakfast:

Cheerios w/low or non-fat milk (soy milk OK).
    A large banana (maybe even slice it and put it on top of the cereal)
    Shot of OJ (8 oz or less) or preferably a sliced up Orange.

Snack 3-4 hours later:

Small serving of cashews, almonds, or macadamian nuts
    OR
    Baby carrots (from a bag)
    Bottle(s) of water.

Lunch:

Baby spinach salad (from a bag) with light dressing with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. At work I usually bring a small paring knife to slice tomatoes. Cucumbers can be sliced in advance and keep well in the fridge.
    Necatrines, plums, apples, pears (whatever is in season).

Snack 3-4 hours later:

Another banana (I like bananas because they are portable and you can eat them anywhere).
    OR
    Mango slices
    OR
    Cut-up pineapple or whatever might be in season.

Dinner:

Lean protein (chicken, beef, pork chops) that is baked or grilled
    Boiled, steamed or canned veggies (fresh veggies preferred)
    100% Whole Grain bread w/spread (butter substitute)
    Small serving of Jell-O for dessert (individual servings available at grocery store)

Basically, learn to keep healthy food around you.

I strongly urge you to plan as many meals as possible. Also make the extra effort to bring fresh fruits and veggies wherever you go and snack on them.

Take a bag of baby carrots and put in the fridge at work (you can munch on them all week). Take three GREEN bananas at work on Monday and leave them there (snack on them when they turn). The night before (or morning) slice up pineapple and cucumber and keep in fridge. Low or non-fat yogurt is good to keep around too.

Always take a personal cooler/insulated lunch bag with you when you leave your house. One with a freezable "cold pack" is good.

Be a disciplined eater who puts her health first and you are well on your way to eating better. Your body will also get what it needs.

I hope you find this answer helpful.

Peace.

AH
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 05:53 PM
    I really do appreciate your suggestions, but most of those require preparing before work. I get three or so hours to sleep when working both jobs. I don't really have time for that. I can eat healthier and DO on days that I work only one of the jobs.

And I can't keep food in the fridge at work, I'm a caregiver and cannot use the client's fridge.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 06:47 PM
    You couldn't be working those sort of hours everyday, are you? You'll burn out if you try to maintain that sort of schedule for too long. If you're working 19 out of 24 hours on any particular day, it would be impossible to do anything else with the remaining 5 hours other than sleep. Are there days when you're working fewer hours or have days off?
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis
    you couldn't be working those sort of hours everyday, are you? You'll burn out if you try to maintain that sort of schedule for too long. If you're working 19 out of 24 hours on any particular day, it would be impossible to do anything else with the remaining 5 hours other than sleep. Are there days when you're working fewer hours or have days off?
    I've mentioned that I work anywhere from 10-19 a day. If I would have burned out on working two jobs, it would have happened a long time ago. I've always worked two jobs. I don't have days off. I know it's impossible to do anything but sleep on 19 hour days, hence my issue. :p
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Geez, how have you been managing to do that? I actually work two jobs as well (although the hours for the second job are thankfully flexible - still, I have tasks I have to accomplish each week. Plus I have an 11 year old at home who naturally wants quality time together and a home to keep in reasonable order. Basically, what doesn't fit into my priorities of children/health/finances/partner/home (including two cats), doesn't get done. I somehow manage to get to the gym at least twice during the week and once or twice over the weekend. I have a set of hand weights at home and know how to run through an exercise routine in front of the TV if I have to :-)

Is there any part of your travel to and from work that you can safely walk, jog or cycle? Do you know where the nearest gym and swimming pool is to your workplaces and home?
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Aug 19, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I really do appreciate your suggestions, but most of those require preparing before work. I get three or so hours to sleep when working both jobs. I don't really have time for that. I can eat healthier and DO on days that I work only one of the jobs.

And I can't keep food in the fridge at work, I'm a caregiver and cannot use the client's fridge.
    Wow. I wasn't aware that you only got 3 hours of sleep when working both jobs; that's got to be very demanding on your body.

I guess I can only say is to buy prepared items at the grocery store (I even saw chopped onions for sale one time) and carry around fruits and veggies in your own cooler w/a plastic "ice pack" or synthetic ice cubes. If you have a good cooler and lots of ice then you can keep it in the car all day and things won't go bad.

Try your best to travel with healthy food and snacks.

I know you have barely enough time to sleep, but always make time for your health (mind, body, and spirit).

I know work is important but just don't sacrifice your health.

One time I worked at this job for 3 months and I began to have high blood pressure and anxiety so I quit; it wasn't worth it for me.

Thanks for your reply.

AH
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
    geez, how have you been managing to do that? I actually work two jobs as well (although the hours for the second job are thankfully flexible - still, I have tasks I have to accomplish each week. Plus I have an 11 year old at home who naturally wants quality time together and a home to keep in reasonable order. Basically, what doesn't fit into my priorities of children/health/finances/partner/home (including two cats), doesn't get done. I somehow manage to get to the gym at least twice during the week and once or twice over the weekend. I have a set of hand weights at home and know how to run through an exercise routine in front of the TV if I have to :-)

Is there any part of your travel to and from work that you can safely walk, jog or cycle? Do you know where the nearest gym and swimming pool is to your workplaces and home?
    Both jobs are too far to walk or bicycle. Besides the fact that I live in the Pacific Northwest with a weak immune system, I don't like being sick. Especially since I work with sick people. And yes, I have a gym membership, but even the time that I would have to use it, I am really wanting to sleep. This is my confusion, how in the world am I supposed to lose weight when I don't have any free time?
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 11:29 PM
    I feel you. The best you can do is to avoid the soft drinks, unnecessary snacks, and choose your meals wisely. High protein, less junk. Have a salad instead of a burger. Get a bowl of fruit when you can get fries.

I really do feel for you, and I hope your schedule gets better soon.

Best.
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Thanks ISF, you're right. I hope it gets better soon too. But while I'm still living alone, this is how it is...
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 11:33 PM
    Don't you have a boyfriend to cook your meals and pack your lunches ;)
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:34 PM
    LOL... he works two jobs and goes to school... He has less time than I do. And he lives with his parents.
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Psh, then what good is he to you?
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 11:41 PM
    You must have a good reason for working such long hours... cancel your gym membership and pay off a toning bed instead?? Just a thought :-)

Get fit in bed
    Amazon Online Reader : Get Fit in Bed: Tone Your Body & Calm Your Mind from the Comfort of Your Bed

Toning Beds -- I just love the thought of these LOL!!
    Exercise Equipment for Women - Toning Tables from Slender You
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
    you must have a good reason for working such long hours ....... cancel your gym membership and pay off a toning bed instead??? Just a thought :-)

Get fit in bed
    Amazon Online Reader : Get Fit in Bed: Tone Your Body & Calm Your Mind from the Comfort of Your Bed

Toning Beds -- I just love the thought of these LOL!!!
    Exercise Equipment for Women - Toning Tables from Slender You
    Yes, I have a lot of bills (mostly medical bills). I can't afford extravagant purchases right now.
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    psh, then what good is he to you?
    I ponder that sometimes... :p
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 11:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Yes, I have a lot of bills (mostly medical bills). I can't afford extravagant purchases right now.
    Sorry to hear that. You can still use the gym though, I'm guessing? You still look great so you might need to focus on keeping your diet as healthy as possible and getting rest whenever you can until your schedule becomes more manageble. Work on changing your schedule...
    Vision Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:58 PM
    I do not have time to go to the gym, I'm cancelling my membership after this month. I cannot afford to change my schedule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I doing enough exercise? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if I'm doing enough exercise? I play volleyball twice a week for an hour and walk home from school 3 times a week which takes about an hour as well. In Autumn and Winter I play hockey but it's Spring now so I'm not playing until next year. I feel lazy now that I'm not playing...

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

Weight, belly fat, diet? Can I do this in a certain amount of time? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: how can I loss 30-40 pounds by June?:confused: :( I want to loss my belly fat Is it possible to loss it by June by doing just sit-up and drinking lots of water and eating just yogurt, fruit, or vegetables? :confused: :confused: :(

Diet start time [ 1 Answers ]

Is December the most common time to start a diet?

The best way to exercise? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay so I have been exercising for quite sometime now and have tried different things, at one point I was working out three times a week doing at least one exercise per muscle. Then I was doing two exercises per muscle and started doing protein shakes and bars and all the other stuff. Finally...

View more questions Search