Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTCHC Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Transfer deed w/0 refinancing?
    Can I transfer the deed to my brother In-law and have him assume my mortgage so that he doesn't have refinance?

Aug 18, 2008, 07:22 PM
    What kind of costs are associated with transfer a deed?
    What kind of costs are associated with transfer a deed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Filing costs definitely, attorney fees may also apply. The costs vary geographically. Best to check with your local county clerk.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2008, 07:34 PM
    I merged your two threads since they seem to bear on the same issue. Some mortgages are assignable. But the lender has to agree. So you need to talk to the lender.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Yes, you will have to contact the lender and see if they will allow a mortgage to be assumed, some are, others are not, only your lender can tell you that. Also they may allow him to be added to the mortgage, but leave you on, esp if he has lower credit.
    deedgrabber Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Aug 19, 2008, 05:44 AM
    You can transfer the deed to your brother-in-law without paying the mortgage off. However you may trigger a due-on-sale clause which could allow the lender to accelerate the loan (demand immediate payoff).

In today's foreclosure-choked environment, it is highly unlikely the mortgage company would do this if payments have been made on time. I have invested in dozens of deals where we have transferred title without paying the mortgage in full, and have just kept making payments. Often times the house was on the brink of foreclosure even when we started. Never has a lender chosen to take a performing asset and turn it into a foreclosure. This could be more likely to happen if the mortgage you're leaving in place has a rate far below market. I doubt that is the case in today's low-mortgage rate environment.

Cost to transfer varies by state and locale. In my state of Indiana it would take only about $20 plus deed drafting costs. In other states, they charge a transfer tax based on the purchase price which can include the value of any mortgages left in place on the property.

As far as having your relative formally assume the loan, I would say that if he would qualify for that, it would be easier just to have him get a new loan and buy the property from you conventionally.

Aug 19, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Thank you all for your advice.

The situation is far more complicated , but hopefully we don't have to transfer the deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I entered into a lease with option to buy contract with my mother and her now ex husband for a house they own approximately five years ago. He has since left her, she filed for divorce and in order to be rid of this shady character, my mom gave up her half interest in the house that I contracted...

Deed Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

When a brother buys out sisters from inherited property and want his wife on deed. Is it necessary from him to put the deed in his name first then add wife, or is it possible for his wife's name to be on the deed when it is transfer in his name at the point of sell?:p

Deed and refinancing [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. We are buying my mother-in-laws home, is it possible for us to be added to their deed and refinancing the house in our name, and then paying them for the house. Pay off their mortgage and whatever. If so would we be able to have their names taken off the deed once it's been financed in our...

Mortgage refinancing adding someone to deed [ 2 Answers ]

We would like to refinance our home But because we don't have work history Or good credit- someone suggested we ask someone to refinance the home for us, in their name. My father-in-law has agreed but was told once he gets on the deed it would take a year for us to be able to refinance. Is...

Deed transfer [ 2 Answers ]

How can I transfer a deed?

View more questions Search