Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KLC1230 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 06:13 PM
    quadratic word
    Does the graph of this equation open up or down?

Tickets= -0.2x^2+12x+11

Describe what happens to the tickets sales as time passes?
    Rehaan_genius Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 04:27 AM
    The graph of this equation will open DOWNWARDS cause here a is -ve.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 04:39 AM
    I think that increases at first and reach an optimum, then decreases. Must check it though. Do you know how to complete the square of a quadratic? While doing that mentally, I found that the curve (having a -ve coefficient for the x^2 has a maximum) has a center at the x-coordinate of 30 (or time 30), therefore meaning that it increases at first then reach an optimum and finally falls. Waiting for others to comfirm that.

Aug 19, 2008, 04:40 AM
    Name:  Graph2.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  40.7 KB

Aug 19, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Dude! It is obvious that a quadratic equation will always have a parabola type(not exact parabola) graph. We just have to find whether it opens up or down, its vertex, roots(points where it cuts the x axis) etc...
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KLC1230
    Describe what happens to the tickets sales as time passes?
    That was the question I replied. With the time axis, the -ve part of the x-axis is not concerned, as well as the -ve part of the y-axis, being the amount of tickets.

Aug 19, 2008, 04:47 AM
    to make a perfect square of a quadratic, first make the co-efficient of x^2 equal to one, then add and subtract the square of the half of the co-efficient of x, then analyze the equation and you will find it is now easy to make it a perfect square!
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 04:54 AM
    That's what I did in case you didn't realise that. You will find the x-coordinate to be 30, as shown in your graph.

Aug 19, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Unknown008! Could you please explain the concept behind the second part of the question?

Aug 19, 2008, 05:05 AM
    I think first it will increase up to 30 and then decreases and we should only consider the first quadrant of the graph only! Am I right?
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Well, if you like. Using a graph, and labelling the axes correctly, x-axis as time and y-axis as the number of ticket sales, you'll find that the number of ticket sales increases for the first 30 units (maybe seconds, minutes, hours, etc.) of time passed. After that, it decreases until it falls to zero.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equation word problem [ 4 Answers ]

A boat travels at a speed of 20 mph in still water. It travels 48 miles upstream, and then returns to the starting point in a total of 5 hours. The speed of the current is ____mph? I am not getting the setup right. Can someone help me?

Quadratic Word Problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there I need a little assistance on solving the following equations. You have $ 3600 to spend on fencing for three separate rectangular pastures, all with the same dimensions. A local contracting company tells the farmer that they can build the fence for $6.25/m. What is the largest...

Quadratic equation-word problems [ 1 Answers ]

To save fuel on the 240km trip to their cottage, the Nakamura family reduce their usual average speed by 20km/h. This lengthens the journey time by 1 hour. What is the slower average speed?

Quadratic Word Equations [ 3 Answers ]

SUPPOSE A BASEBALL IS SHOT UP FROM THE GROUND STRAIGHT UP WITH AN INITIAL VELOCITY OF 32 FEET PER SECOND. A FUNCTION CAN BE CREATED BY EXPRESSING DISTANCE ABOVE THE GROUND,S,AS A FUNCTION OF TIME,T. THIS FUNCTION IS S=16T^2+VOT+SO 16 REPRESENTS 1/2g, the gravitational pull due to gravity...

Quadratic equation Word promblem [ 1 Answers ]

As people age, their ateries lose their elasticity, which causes blood pressure to increase. For healthy average systolic blood pressure is estimated by P=0.01A^2+0.05A+107, were P is the average blood pressure in millimeters or mercury (mm Hg) and A is the person's age. For healthy men, average...

View more questions Search