Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azmelissah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quality of life vs. 12 month Lease.
    We signed our lease 6/1/08 and the lease is to end by 5/31/09. The apartments have very poor insulation. We immediately informed the mgt and they supposedly spoke to the tenant above us. Anyway... we have contacted security about 4 times all between the hours of 12am and 5 am, every night we are woken up do to the banging around and walking back and forth. We DEAL with it during the day, but at night we can't sleep therefore affecting the quality of life we have. The neighbors confronted us this past weekend which turned out badly and nothing resolved. Mgt did have the floors redone upstairs, but not above our bedroom which is our main complaint and they are aware of our complaints. Mgt is not concerned and we are constantly communicating with them. We have also pressed charges to a different neighbor for shooting a bee bee gun pallet through our bedroom window. Can we get out of our lease without paying due to our quality of life and the proper repairs not being done?? We are hoping for some advice and we live in NC. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by azmelissah
    We signed our lease 6/1/08 and the lease is to end by 5/31/09. The apartments have very poor insulation. We immediately informed the mgt and they supposedly spoke to the tenant above us. Anyways...we have contacted security about 4 times all between the hours of 12am and 5 am, every night we are woken up do to the banging around and walking back and forth. We DEAL with it during the day, but at night we can't sleep therefore affecting the quality of life we have. The neighbors confronted us this past weekend which turned out badly and nothing resolved. Mgt did have the floors redone upstairs, but not above our bedroom which is our main complaint and they are aware of our complaints. Mgt is not concerned and we are constantly communicating with them. We have also pressed charges to a different neighbor for shooting a bee bee gun pallet through our bedroom window. Can we get out of our lease without paying due to our quality of life and the proper repairs not being done???? We are hoping for some advice and we live in NC. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You signed a contract and I believe you are bound by it. There is a certain amount of "buyer beware" involved.

Is it possible to negotiate a figure to get out of the lease, sublet. Or else you can just move but you can and probably will be sued and I don't know that you have grounds to break a contract.

Instead of contacting management have you called the Police when the neighbors are so loud you cannot sleep - ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 07:29 PM
    This is actually common ( easy to hear neighbors) in many apartments, you need to call management, call police if needed for too much noice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
    It does sound like you are very unhappy but I do not hear any complaint that would release you from your lease. You could keep calling management and tell them you want out but they aren't required by law to do so. They may give up if you call often enough, I probably would not but then again I would have added some insulation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

How the upcoming trends affect the quality of work life of employees? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Tell the answer of the question that I have typed above

Quality of life [ 2 Answers ]

My question is What are the factors that affect the quality of life

View more questions Search