Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BayAreaNative Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Water under sink (photos incl.)
    We've had a persistent problem that 2 plumbers have tried to fix, unsuccessfully. The 2 plumbers tightened areas under the sink near the hot/cold water valves.

In the downstairs bathroom, there is a fresh water stain on the wood on
    The bottom and side boards directly under the sink which I can see when I open the cabinet doors. The wet stain stretches horizontally all the way across from left to right and up the sides on the left and right under the sink. I've been told by one plumber to use silicone to seal between the actual faucet and sink, and around the hot/water knobs at the top of the sink, which I did, but the leak is still occurring. The area dried out a little after the plumber came last week, but is wet again today. What else should be checked?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2006, 06:29 PM
    I don't care if the plumber's only been in the trade for two weeks, you take toilet paper and start at the top and wipe around until you see moisture show up. This is basic 101 plumbing. Now if they can't locate the leak the first thing to do in to shut the water off and let everything dry off. Then turn the water back on without running anything. If you see moisture track it back. Did the plumbers pull the faucet and inspect the brass valve body for leaks? If there were a crack in the brass valve body this leak would be hidden. The plumber that told you to use silicon jell to seal around the stems and cover plate wasn't attempting to repair the leak he was hoping to get lucky and contain it. Go back to square one and start from scratch. Remove the chrome cover plate on the faucet and expose the innards of the faucet and see if the leak doesn't come from there. What bay area are you from? I live in the Tamps Bay Area. Good luck, Tom
    BayAreaNative Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 06:50 PM
    From the pictures attached to my original posting, does the water stain pattern look like something common with a faucet leaking? Is it possible there is something else leaking, like a pipe next to the wall?

One of the plumbers just splashed water onto the top of the sink to diagnose the problem. Since our home warranty didn't cover faucets, he "couldn't" check the faucet to see if the faucet was the source of the leak. He suggested the sealing with the silicone gel, but I wasn't told that the faucet could have been
    A source of the problem. As you suggested, I will dry out the area and look at the brass valve body.

Thanks so much from the SF Bay Area! Have a great weekend!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No hot water to sink in bathroom, but hot water to everywhere else [ 3 Answers ]

When we turn on the hot water in our bathroom to our bath tub, it comes on fine; but, when we turn on our hot water to our sink in our bath room no water comes out at all! Our house is an older house, but the sink and the faucet are less than a year old. Any ideas? Thanks. Chris

Water coming up in sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have water coming UP in the bathroom sink when the water softener is on, if I by pass it no problem. What can I check?

New sink faucet but water won't come out [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new sink, facuet and supply water lines. When I turned on the water for first time water came out for a few seconds then stopped. I diconnected the water lines from the faucet and the water comes out fine but when I hook them back up to the faucet no water will come out. Any...

Little Cold Water and plugged sink [ 1 Answers ]

Very little cold water is coming into the shower and tub faucet although it is doing fine to the toilet and sink. Someone told me the faucets may need to be taken apart and cleaned but I don't know how. The faucets are barely a year old. We are on well water. The bathroom sink is real sluggish...

View more questions Search