Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Hey bill... I would stick with the premix... just mix it so it is stiff like mentioned earlier.

You are right that lime will make this sticky and that is why you work this as dryer mix... ;)

3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratios are both OK here (stronger at 3 to 1... but have used both ratios successfully over the years)... as long as subfloor is in good condition! It is only a shower floor and I don't want to play that down, but you have prepped properly... so you should be fine here.

Let me know when I can help.
    bill022572 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
    HI Mark - - -

Thanks for the interest. Sorry, I haven't been here for awhile. Decided to put the shower on a slight hold for a while ( $$$ ) and install some flooring ( laminate ) I had already purchased for my dining room. I played around with my little experimental box I made some more ( I even bought a scrap piece of membrane from HD ) and put it in to practice my corner folding. I thought that went well but when I mixed the sand mix and put it over the membrane : I still had trouble getting it to screed to a level of success I was satisfied with. I'm still planning on playing around with it some more. But, another question. Do you have any experience with Schluter Kerdi products ? They seem to be all the rage and have a shower tray with the pre-slope already in place that I could use. With this system, I could basically just install the tray with thin-set and then cover it with Kerdi membrane
    ( floor and walls ). They say this create a totally waterproof shower. And then you just tile right over the Kerdi membrane. They even have a pre-formed curb. A kit ( includes the tray - the curb - the Kerdi membrane - inside and ouside corners - drain kit ) can be had for about $400 bux. Seems to include just about everything I would need ( but thinset ) and of course I would still need drywall and tile. Oh, they also say you just use regular 1/2 " drywall under their membrane. And, if you can believe it, you actually have a better shower ( totally water-proof ). Any thoughts ? Thanks again.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Hi Bill...

Schluter-kerdi products look great! I have seen them for awhile now and have thought of trying them myself but I don't have any experience with the system.

If you are looking for system that is more user friendly this may be the way to go... but go to a local TILE STORE and discuss it with them... see what they think and what they advise you to do.

Appreciate the update!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky shower [ 1 Answers ]

My Delta shower is leaking steadily, a constant maddening drip. How can I fix this ?

Leaky shower [ 3 Answers ]

How do I repair a leaky bathtub shower tile wall?Bath tub caulk will not set in that area of tub.There is a half bath on the other side of the wall.There is no trap door. Thanks bj

Leaky shower [ 2 Answers ]

I took the handle off the shower and replaced two washers. One was funnel shaped and the other was like a little cap which was installed in the rear. My shower still drips. Is it possible that the inside where the cap shaped washer sets is bad?

What should I do with this leaky shower? [ 5 Answers ]

We just bought this nice tiny house with 2 full bathrooms. This is the upstairs bathroom, tiny with a leaky shower. The inspector says it's the walls that are leaking, which isn't hard to believe since it's that wood paneling. Not sure what the owner did to seal any of that. :confused: Anyway, I'd...

Leaky Shower Bad Grout or Leaky Shower Pan [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought a townhouse that had the upstairs bathroom redone completely with a walk it tile shower. I have been there a year and recently noticed that the grout is slightly cracked around the base (floor and walls). I have also noticed mold that I have sprayed in the grout (Since leaving...

View more questions Search