Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nayantara Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Tuition and Fees Deduction
    Hi ATE,
    First of all, thank you for taking time in providing solutions for tax related issues.
    Here is my situation and question:
    I am filing resident 1040 MFJ return. In 2005, I have paid $12000 to a university for my MBA course. My employer reimbursed me $3000 out of the $12000.
    I am claiming $4000 Tuition and fee deduction under line 34 of the 1040 form (this is the better option based on my income).
    Can I claim the remaining $5000 as un-reimbursed job expenses in Schedule A?

Once again, thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2006, 07:48 PM
    NJ:

Yes, you can, if the MBA will enhance your current work skills. I did something very similar for a client last year; got her a nice refund she was NOT expecting.
    nayantara Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Thank you ATE. It's very helpful.
    NJ
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Tuition deduction - F1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, if I'm on F1 visa, can I deduct tuition as higher education expenses? 4,000? Thanks a lot!

Tuition fees deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 in 2003 and 2004 and now on h1b. I did not claim any eductaion expense tax benefit while I was on F1. So far I paid school fees from my own pocket. Can I claim tuition fees deduction while filing this years return?

Tuition [ 5 Answers ]

I seriosly need to know the pros and cons of tuition(extra classes).I am joining a debate:eek: Please send me links to other websites which r related to what I need to know.Please do help and thank you.

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search