Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunsettt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Leaking from relief valve
    I have a Well-Troll system, I just replaced the 75psi relief valve on the output of my tank. And it still leaks it seams that when I use water the pump (submersible) kicks on and pops the relief (spilling 3 or 4 gallons) nothing was changed or tampered with except the changing of the relief valve. Any ideas would be great... Thanks John:confused:
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 18, 2008, 03:04 AM
    John,
    By "still leaks", it implies that both the old and new PRV were both leaking. If that is the case, look for a flow restriction between well and the tank. It could be a valve partially closed, or a defective valve that is stuck partly closed, or a debris blockage in the line. If you have chlorine injection, it could have completely clogged the pipe.

If you can't determine a blockage, you could adapt a pressure gauge to put it where the PRV is now. Then, you could watch and see if it is a defective PRV, or if the psi really is jumping up high enough to blow.

Does the valve blow the entire time the pump is on, or only at first?

Let us know, so that we can help you solve it.
    Al
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Hey John,
    What's your bladder tank set at? Cheers, tom

Aug 18, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Oops, I missed it in my earlier post. You said the PRV is on the output of your tank. Now, we really need more info. If you could post pictures of your setup. Or, describe the flow pattern of your setup. Do you have only one pipe on your tank? Usually Well-x-trol means you have a bladder tank.

Al

Aug 18, 2008, 06:26 PM
    After the tank was drained I checked the bladder psi it was less then 10psi so I increased it to 28psi ( I have a 30/50psi switch) changed the PRV and turned the power on. Now sometimes after the pump runs and psi goes up PRV leaks. I checked the bladder psi after the pump stopped and it was @ 78psi but why I guess is the question
    Attached Images

Aug 18, 2008, 06:38 PM
    John,
    It's good that the PRV is doing its job.

Check the pipe under your pressure switch. It may be clogged allowing the switch to over-pressure. Or, you may have a bad diaphragm in the switch, which would require switch replacement.

In the picture is the well on the left or right?
    Al

Aug 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
    The line on the left comes from the pump. If the line is cloged what is the best way to clean or flush the line/system. Thanks for all your help... John:rolleyes:
    Attached Images

Aug 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
    John,
    Check the 1/4" pipe under the pressure switch. Run a piece of wire or something through it and make sure it is clear all the way down into the brass 1" tee.

While you have the switch off, look inside to see if you have some crud inside the switch. You could replace the switch while you have it off. I personally would, but I don't like doing things more than once. If both the switch and the pipe are clear of blockages, you definitely want to replace the pressure switch, since that is probably your problem at that point.
    Al

Aug 24, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Thanks Al, I replaced the press sw, gauge(both clogged I just replaced) , prv, blew out the lines reset the bladder press to 28psi. Its like new thanks for all your help... John :)

Aug 24, 2008, 07:10 PM
    You are welcome John. Glad we were able to figure it out.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Safety valve & relief valve [ 22 Answers ]

What is the difference between safety valve and relief valve

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

Plumbing relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

What does a hot water heater look like inside or what is the shematic of a heating system?

Pressure relief valve [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a State Select brand water heater (40 gallon) which is about 4-5 years old. It recently has begun to leak from the pressure relief valve, and is leaking a lot:( , especially after taking a shower... Is this a simple fix of replacing the valve or something more serious? Any and all...

View more questions Search