Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 20, 2006, 10:56 PM
    Floor slightly tilted near toilet
    Tore up an old floor in bathroom to have new plumbing installed but realized there is a slight grade heading downhill towards my toilet ,that will soon be installed along with my sink... what can I do besides tearing up my floor to level it out near the toilet and sink?will there be toilet issues if I leave this floor a little crooked?. my level says I need to raise the floor about 1/2 inch... any products out there that can help and how do I use them.. thanks
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 20, 2006, 11:27 PM
    If the bathroom floor is sinking you might need to check the other floors in your house for the same. Possibly one of your footers under the house is settling, a common event, and you might need the footer raised and braced. Check this link out: Click Here.

Your problem might be more that you bargained for. If this isnt a major problem I am sure its common enough for a carpenter or plumber to fix.

Hypatia

Apr 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Thanks for the link... gonna try raising it SLOWLY... but I got to have a workable bathroom 1st... so I still need other ideas.. thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2006, 04:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    thanks for the link...gonna try raising it SLOWLY....but i gotta have a workable bathroom 1st...so i still need other ideas..thank you
    Hi Tommy,

If you have to have a bathroom immediately then I would install the toilet using a waxseal with a funnel and shim the toilet as near to level as possible.
    You can always reset the toilet after leveling up the floor. Good luck,Tom

Apr 21, 2006, 10:20 PM
    What's the procedure for using floor leveler from home depot... I've gotten many suggestion to try that... thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    whats the procedure for using floor leveler from home depot...i've gotten many suggestion to try that...thanks

Sheet-Vinyl Floor Makeover

It's definitely possible to install new sheet-vinyl flooring over your old vinyl-tile floor. Depending on the size of your room, it may take a full weekend, but it's a budget-friendly floor treatment. However, be aware that for a professional-quality look you can't simply lay down new sheet flooring over just any vinyl floor. There are a few important factors to consider. Following are the rules and some installation tips.

Materials:

Sheet-vinyl flooring
    Embossing leveler
    Flooring adhesive
    Putty knife or scraper
    Utility knife; hook blade
    Craft paper
    Masking tape
    Advertisement

The old floor must be tightly adhered to the sub-floor. It also must be above grade -- meaning that you won't be installing it in a basement or onto a concrete slab that would allow moisture to seep in and cause the old floor to pop. Also, avoid installing more than two layers of vinyl flooring.

Sheet-vinyl flooring is available in a myriad of patterns and shades including wood patterns, slate-tile look, stone, marble, etc. Most come in either 12 or 6-foot widths. To install flooring, first remove any furniture and movable appliances from the room. Next, remove all of the trim, including the toe-kick in the cove base beneath the cabinets (figure A).

To ensure a perfect fit for your sheet vinyl, make a pattern of the floor of the room using craft paper and tape (figure B). Cut the paper slightly larger than the size of the room, then fold the edges into the creases along the wall and use a utility knife to cut the pattern to the exact size of the room. Be sure to cut around any obstacles such as floor-mounted electrical outlets.

Once you have your pattern cut out, roll out sheets of flooring face-up onto a clean, smooth surface (such as on your garage floor), then center your pattern on top of the vinyl sheeting and cut the flooring to the proper size and dimensions using a utility knife (figure C). If your cuts are not exact, don't worry as you'll be trimming the flooring to a precise fit as you put it in place.

Since you'll be applying the new flooring over an old vinyl floor, it's critical to apply an embossing leveler. Any seams, depressions or raised texture in the old floor (figure D) that are not covered by the leveler will transmit or "telegraph" up through the new floor and cause imperfections in the new surface.

Embossing levelers are color-coded (figure E) to indicate what materials they are suitable to work with. The same holds true for adhesives. Check carefully to ensure that you are using the right products for your flooring.

Use a smooth trowel to spread the leveler thinly and evenly (figure F), making certain to get it into any embossed designs on the floor. Once the leveler has been applied, it may take from 15 minutes to 2 hours to dry, depending on moisture and humidity. Once it's dry, scrape down any ridges in the leveler and sweep the surface clean.

Now you can test-fit the flooring and do some trimming. With the flooring rolled pattern-side-in, check the back for dirt or debris, then carefully position the sheeting onto the floor (figure G). Place the edge of the floor against the longest wall, and square it up.

Once the flooring is in position, trim away any excess using a utility knife (figure H). Don't try to do the whole job in a single cut. Instead, make several cuts until the vinyl is flush with the vertical surface. A hook-blade works well, and will help prevent damage to cabinets or walls as you trim away excess vinyl.

Once you're done cutting, roll half of the sheet toward the middle of the room, making sure that the pattern is facing inside the roll. Now you're ready to start gluing down the flooring using adhesive.

Important: Check the "open time" on the directions that come with your adhesive to get an idea of your work time. (In our case, the open time was 10 to 20 minutes.) That's the amount of time between the spreading of the adhesive, and the laying down of the vinyl. Applying the vinyl too soon may cause the floor to be lumpy.

Spread the adhesive using a smooth trowel designed specifically for applying vinyl adhesive. Hold the trowel at a 60-degree angle and spread the material evenly and sparingly (figure I). Follow the adage "less is more" when it comes to spreading vinyl adhesive. Excess adhesive will leave bumps on the finished floor. Make sure that you spread glue all the way into the corners and into nooks and crannies. Spread adhesive next to the rolled vinyl in a straight line, using caution not to apply excess.

Once you're sure you have good coverage, and you've waited the appropriate amount of time, roll the vinyl carefully over the adhesive Spread the flooring smooth with your hands, and "roll" toward the edge to work out any air trapped between the layers.

Repeat the steps for the other half of the room.

Once the flooring is down, use a roller to press the flooring down as smoothly as possible, working from the center of the room outward. We used a professional floor-roller (figure K) to help ensure a smooth surface. These are typically available at rental centers. For smaller areas, an ordinary rolling pin can be used for similar results.

This is what came up when I Googled Home Depots web site on floor leveling. For more details go to your local store. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange above floor level [ 56 Answers ]

I've seen plenty about the opposite problem - maybe this is something less common: my toilet flange is above the anticipated floor level. I recently removed old tile from the bathroom floor, planning to install new tile. In so doing, I discovered that the old tile was set on about 3 inches of...

New Floor and Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing the floor in my bathroom. I will be laying down 1/4 subfloor and then placing vinyl stick-down tile. My question is do I cut around the toilet, or do I extend the ring somehow and place the toilet on top of the new floor. I'm just afraid of the toilet leaking because of a not so...

Replacing toilet floor flange [ 3 Answers ]

I was replacing my toilet and found that my flange was rusted so much that I couldn't get the flange bolt on one side to lock into the flange so I must replace the flange. It's made of metal with ABS and obviously is glued into the ABS sewer pipe riser. I'm assuming that I need to get underneath...

Smelly floor around the toilet [ 5 Answers ]

We had a bit of an overenthusiastic time with the plunger, and it resulted in a leak in the wax ring of the toilet. We fixed the leak, but now there's a smell coming from the floor. I was wondering if there's a good way to take care of this without ripping everything out and apart to get rid of...

Ground floor toilet not emptying [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks again for all your help on this forum. My latest problem involves a toilet on the ground floor. The problem first occurred about 4 months ago. I flushed the toilet, it flushed, but the water level stayed about the same. Plunging the toilet didn't help. I removed the toilet, and could...

View more questions Search