Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerry pace Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Custody rights
    My girlfriend and I just had a newborn, she is a very difficult person and we can't seem to get alo ng. We live in Vancouver, she moved here a year and a half ago from new brunswick and due to our fights is threatening to take the baby back to the east coast. The baby was born here, has a because birth certificate and has a half brother who's mine and is 10years old from my previous marriage that is in the baby's life now very much so. Does she have the legal right to just up and leave the province with our child? She is finacially in trouble, I make a very good living and could support the baby. What can I do to stop my baby from being taken away to the other side of the country?

Here's the problem, we presently live together... I pay all the bills and she gets $100 dollars a week mat leave. She got mean again today and say's she's taken the baby and leaving tomorrow(to the east coast), say's her dad's flying out to help her make the move to the other side of the country. Even with a lawyers help what can I do by mid day tomorrow?

Oh, and yes the baby has my last name and my name is on the birth certificate.

She say's she's just going to leave with the baby no matter what the law say's or what any lawyer tells her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2008, 07:39 PM
    You need to go to court and establish at least joint custody and a visitation schedule. Make sure the visitation schedule specifies that she cannot move more than x miles away without your permission.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Jerry, you need a lawyer. AND fast. Is your name on the birth certificate?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Your going to need to go to court right away. You need to request custody at whatever level your comfortable with. Your going to need a lawyer magistrate or barrister. Not sure what that position is called in your area. But you need serious legal help and you need it now before the baby disappears. Also if your not paying child support do so now. They can advise you as to how much and if you don't give it to her directly put it in a trust account until you have had a trial and can use it to pay arrears.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2008, 07:51 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ut-249965.html
    Hey Scott is there a way to merge this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Please do not start a new thread each time you want to add info. Just answer your own question to add more info. I have merged all of your posts into one
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2008, 07:57 PM
    You need a lawyer. Tell her that if she leaves, she will just have to come right back. Tell her that you are getting a lawyer tomorrow and do it!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Are you married? Are you the biological father on the birth certificate? How old is the child? What state are you in?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 05:46 PM
    This post needs to be combined with the others then it will make much more sense.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Your posts have been merged, please do not start a new thread to add more info. No one reading your second post had any idea what you were talking about since they could not view the first post with it.

Thank you
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Califdadof3 agrees: Telling her anything is the wrong thing to do. Get the lawyer first. Get the paperwork going. If you tell her your plans now she may disappear altogether.

That is so true. You are right, just get that dang lawyer and make sure you do it fast!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole custody to Father [ 2 Answers ]

What % of cases award sole custody to father vs. mother?

Mother signs all parental rights to father, now wants custody [ 1 Answers ]

My Friends Ex wife signed over custoday to him 3 years ago. She did have the kids once after the break up. Before the divorce, and couldn't handle it, she told him to come pick them up. After the divorce she signed over all her parental rights to him. Three years later she has a job, and taking...

Father seeking custody rights [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I are about to separate. She is pregnant, and the baby is due any day now. She says that after the baby is born, she is leaving the state. I do not want this separation, but I know that I cannot stop that. She knows that with me being in the military, that I will not have all of the...

Custody rights versus Paternity rights [ 3 Answers ]

I will try to get this down in the most unconfusing way possible. My husband and his former wife, allegedly had a baby together, Baby X we will call her. My husband has paternity questions about the child, due to the fact he found the X-wife and his brother-in-law in bed together. Two years...

View more questions Search