Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winterhaven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Changes channels
    My RCA changes channels on its own and shuts on and off by itself, how can I fix this problem on my own?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 08:02 AM
    First step would be to power off the Circuit Breaker for this circuit. Make sure the outlet is dead with either a AC Meter or a neon tester.

After making sure the outlet is off, pull the outlet and check for several things. Aluminum wiring, Loose connections, melting or charred insulation or burn marks. If you find just a loose connection, tighten it up. If you have copper wiring you should be fine.

However, if you have Aluminum wiring, and you find any of the above conditions you really should call an electrician. Houses wired with the older level of Aluminum is subject to loose connections because of the expansion and contraction properties of Aluminum. Current level of Aluminum is fine.

Old Aluminum can and very often does lead to house fires. At a minimum, the outlet should be changed to an AL/CO type outlet. That's only a very short term fix. An Electrical Inspector or Electrician can tell you for sure if you have potential problems and how they can be fixed.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Pull batteries from remote control to eleminate that possibility, you may have some dust or debris on TV circuit board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happened to channels past 12? [ 8 Answers ]

I have an old Sears TV, I was flipping channels one night, and all of a sudden every channel past 12 was white noise. I tried re-progamming the channels, manually, and through the TV menu, and nothing. I can press the channel in through the remote, say 51, and it goes to the channel, but still no...

Delay when changing channels on TV [ 1 Answers ]

Have a new Sony 52in LCD. The problem is when changing channels going to HD from analog or vice versa, the delay is 8-9 seconds. My cable company attributes it to the changing format, 480 to 1080 and vice versa. Can you help?

View more questions Search