Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    painted4love Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Wiring for a switch at the beginning of a run.
    Setup

Circuit-----------to switch-----to
    ---Receptacle--Receptacle--Receptacle--Receptacle

How do I get the switch to run 1/2 of the first and 1/2 of the last receptacle only? Is there a way?

Or should I run separate power supply to the receptacles that I want on the switch?

I know there is an easy way but is there a way to do the other if its all connected in the same rung.

Right now the switch has not been incorporated. I am trying to get light into the room and working off a switch to a receptacle seems like the best way.

Is it going to be to difficult to wire since the switch is at the start of the run?

Any ideas would be great..
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Attached Images

painted4love Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    This is the setup from the breaker (can I use a 20amp on this circuit?)

15amp (20amp?)
    12/2 (black/white/copper)
    To

Switch and then 4 receptacles

I'm confused as far as do I need to change wire once adding a switch? 12/3? To incorporate the red wire?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 08:51 PM
    If 15 amp breaker, use 14-2 to switch, use 14-3 to outlets.
    If 20 amp breaker, use 12-2 to switch, use 12-3 to outlets.

Both 14 and 12 gauge wire is available in 3 conductor (black, red, white, ground) cable.

Be lot of wire in each box, get deepest boxes available. 14 gauge is lot easier to work with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 3 Way Switch Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and after looking at dozens of 3 way switch diagrams online, I'm still confused. I've already run the wires and here's how I did it. I've got 6 recessed lights on 14/2 that come back to switch box 1. The power from the panel comes into switch box 1 as well. I then have...

Wiring a three and four way switch. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 fans in a screen room one fan in the bedroom.(these are ceiling fans). My 3 way switch in the den a 4 way switch in the dinning room and a 3 way switch in the bedroom. I have power to all the fans The fan in the bedroom is working the other fans are not but there's power going to them....

Switch Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Background: Living room has one light and one single switch that controls it. We installed a ceiling fan in the living room in addition to the light. We also bought a dual switch thinking we could use that for both the fan and light. When we looked at the single switch, it has both the...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

3-way switch wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble wiring a 3way light system. I am looking to run two lights from both ends of the switches. My explanation is I had a single light & switch at the top of stairs and a single light & switch at the bottom of stairs. I have ran 12-3 wires between switchs but not sure how to wire...

View more questions Search