Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amina 101 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Damages of skin lightening
    Hi... I used meladerm for a month barely and the dermaline skin lightening cream for a day or two then stopped because I noticed it made my skin uneven... I notice my skins evening out but its getting darker than it originally was which is really upsetting because I feel like I can't escape this whole skin lightening thing... I just want to know if my skin will eventually come back to its fair complexion if I've permanently damaged my skin and what I can do to regain my natural complexion and maintain it without skin lightening creams... its really depressing that I even started because I don't crave light skin I just want my natural tone.. help
    iciclef Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Aug 16, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Some chemicals, acid peels, and other facial products used to change the epidermal layer, should be TESTED on a not so visible place as your face. I am a dark-skinned African American and people often tell me that my skin is beautiful (not the face just the skin LOL)and for the past 40 years I have used only natural products, vinegar, oatmeal, olive oil,etc at different times to get different benefits. Sure the chemicals you buy OTC say that they will work FAST... wy because they are strong. It is my opinion that places on your face has been burned by the chemicals and it will take time for you to shed the burned skin , when that is over then your skin should be monotint for the most part. GoodLuck :D :D
    amina 101 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Hey thanks how long do you think it'd take I can't help but keep feeling like I've done my face a disservice of some sort it really hurts... my mom thinks it'll clear up winter time but its not a natural process like getting naturally a bit dark in summer then clearing up in winter so what can I do... do you think what she said is right and has this damaged my skin or is it going to go back to original form..

Aug 17, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Woefully, I cannot give you an estimate of the time it will take for the outer layer of your skin to peel away and new skin revealed, but it will happen. Unless you get a script from a licensed professional like a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, I would not use anything to promote the peeling. You obviously have sensitive skin and the more chemicals the more you risk permanent damage. It's like a burn, the deeper it has damaged the skin 1st degree etc. the longer it takes to rejuvenate. You can take Vitamin E to help rejuvenate and maybe a light pure aloe vera gel to help with the pain. But if it were me I would keep my hands out of my face when not washing or moisturizing, get as much fresh air to the skin, no NO makeup - you want your skin to get as much air as possible(oxidation of the damaged skin makes it peel faster) Good Luck!!
    Cherry_09 Posts: 42, Reputation: 0

Aug 18, 2008, 08:51 PM
    All this cream contains steroids which is not at all good for skin. You can get lines on your skin and small hairs grow if you use it for a long time. They can lighten quickly but U cannot stop before doing full course and if you do your skin will get more darker but it will reheal after some time. If U want to know I can tell U about some cream and steroids and times to use them to get a superwhite complexion.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
    You can also try natural skin lighteners such as kojic acid soap

Aug 19, 2008, 01:28 AM
    How could you recommend using different chemicals on the lady's already burnt skin! Only a licensed professional can decide what chemicals can counteract the effects of a previous chemical burn, which is different from a flame burn.
    Cherry_09 Posts: 42, Reputation: 0

Aug 19, 2008, 03:11 AM
    As this had happened with me also. And after that I have consulted with a dermatologist and now I am white.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Cherry is right your derm is the best person to get skin advice from
    Vicky_D Posts: 254, Reputation: 19

Aug 20, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iciclef
    How could you recommend using different chemicals on the lady's already burnt skin! Only a licensed professional can decide wht chemicals can counteract the effects of a previous chemical burn, which is different from a flame burn.
    Kojic acid is not a chemical.

Aug 21, 2008, 08:21 AM
    From the beginning I've repeated said that the advice of a licensed professional was the first step to take and not to use home remedies. But if you feel that I was wrong, I'm okay with that because I personally have never tried to change my complexion. All I've ever done was to keep my skin clear of acne, smooth with an even tone from hair roots to toenails. But I guess my age group has something to do with that to LOL. I submit to your knowledge and experience.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Could not agree more with you vic
    FarmersTan Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry_09
    As this had happened with me also. And after that I have consulted with a dermatologist and now I am white.
    How to get in touch with Cherry_09 ? I'm going to visit a dermatologist soon. What did your derm prescribe/do for you? How did you get white?
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

Sep 19, 2008, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmersTan
    How to get in touch with Cherry_09 ? I'm going to visit a dermatologist soon. What did your derm prescribe/do for you? How did you get white?

I would be interested to know what her original skin tone was.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 05:45 PM

Nothing wrong with kojic acid people at least you know what your putting on your skin and its all natural

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skin lightening for dark Afro skin/ max result [ 72 Answers ]

Hey, I've been reading the forums, it is so much info to absorb. Is their anyone who has had dark Afro- Amer or Afro- Carib and are know a fairer and more even complexion from using skin lighteners. If so can you lead me in a direction, I am willing to use any regime just not too expensive. Thanks...

Damages of skin lightening [ 10 Answers ]

I used meladerm for a month and dermaline products for a day or two before I realized my skin was getting uneven so I stopped.. im desperately trying to regain my natural skin color.. after stopping I noticed my skin getting darker than it originally was or more so how it gets if stay in sun wayy...

Lightening my skin with monobenzone has messed my skin up [ 86 Answers ]

I know that a lot of you are using monobenzone or compteplating on using it. Well I'm hear to tell you that after 1yr. Of monobenzone use my skin became disfigured. My arms, face, legs, cheast . Is patch work of pink, brown, large patchess. And I've been going to dermatologist about it and they say...

Skin lightening [ 2 Answers ]

I read some of the reviews about lightening the skin from acne and age spots but has anyone used the product on melasma. I have used triluma and I'm currently using another product, but not consistently. I have melasma, pretty bad case, and I stumbled on the website for civant skincare. If...

View more questions Search