Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barnonce Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Adding a 60A sub-panel w/underground wiring needed
    I am building a small detached building (in California) about 50 feet from the back of my house and about 90 feet from the main panel. I want to add a 60 amp sub-panel for the building. I will only be running 120v in the building. I will be running the electrical underground to get there. I just need help on following:

1. What gauge/type of cable is needed (alum or copper).
    2. Depth requirement for pvc conduit.
    3. PVC requirement -schedule 80?
    4. Do I need to add a grounding rod for the shop as well.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 16, 2008, 10:28 PM
    barnonce,

1. 6/3 with ground copper UF type cable

2. UF can be direct buried

3. 18" for UF cable

4. yes
    barnonce Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 11:56 PM
    Thanks Frank - appreciate the quick response

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a 100A subpanel from parallel 100A main panels [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning to install a low voltage driveway snow melt system that will require 70A (240V). I want to run this from a new 100A subpanel in my attached garage. My problem is that my 200A service is split into two 100A main panels. How would I accomplish this? My other option I suppose is to run a...

Max Amps in a Panel and adding a sub panel for more circuits [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I recently moved into a condo with a 200 amp panel (in my unit). The main panel is in the electrical room of the building and my unit was previously a commercial retail space. I did some remodeling and my panel is now full. The total combined amps of all the circuit breakers...

Can I go smaller than 100A sub-panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to wire a detached garage/workshop, and I was wondering... Is 100A as small as I can go? If not... what are the smaller size sub-panels that they make... that are legal as far as code allows... Thanks in advance for the help.

Wire to a 100A sub-panel [ 1 Answers ]

I want to run copper wire from my 200Amp main electrical panel to a 100Amp sub-panel. The 100Amp panel will feed a heat pump compressor, air handler with heat strips (total load = 70 amps) and about 4 20 amp outlet lines. I have previously wired a 60 Amp sub-panel in this house. The panels would...

Underground wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have wiring running from my house to garage for power. At some point in the wire it is broken. How do I find that point of the Break?

View more questions Search