Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanta2ndchance Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Very curious and just plain bored so how about we talk about .
    What is a possible explanation for the Atlas Mountains, the Great Rift Valley, and the Mediterranean Sea? Maybe you can include links?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Aug 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
    The earth has a series of what they call tectonic plates that move and rattle around and have fault lines where they contact each other leading to earthquakes, the outside [mantle] of the earth is solid but further down it is liquid near the core, which sometimes escapes when a volcano erupts. So some mountains are igneous, rock formed by overflowing lava and others are sedimentary rock lifted above sea level by one tectonic plate diving underneath another. Metamorphic rock is a combination of these two, like slate is sedimentary shale rock that has been subjected to other forces. The Mediterranean and the other inland seas like Caspian, Black etc could be like the Great Lakes in USA, the remnants of an older, much larger sea that was there at the end of the Ice Age when the glaciers melted.
    tom1212 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 02:20 AM
    Timbuktu was an ancient city (and was very welathly). Thus, many myths were created and many explorers ventured there. These stories and such ran wild in Europe, tempting many people to attempt to travel there to obtain massive riches, however due to its very secluded location (Western Africa) many never made it/never returned. This coined the phrase, 'to timbuktu' as in a place very very far away, as some people didn't even know if it really existed. Modern Timbuktu is a poor city, as it experienced a quick decline when the slave trade ravaged Africa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So BOrEd [ 7 Answers ]

IM SOOOO BORED... my situation is I'm stuck in the house, I don't have a car, I was in the house all day yesterday until my mom got home so I've been bored 4 2 days now... so what do you think I should do so I can stop the boredum:( I'm miserable please help)

Am I being TOO Available or are we just Bored? [ 16 Answers ]

I've heard countless of times that being too available can be a problem. I have been recently laid off, and my girlfriend calls me like 5 times a day when she's at work, to say hello, and just talk. Then when she gets off work in the evening at around 7pm, I go over there, chill, we watch TV, and...

What about being bored? [ 12 Answers ]

I wrote like two things on my 5 year old already... spiritually, he speaks of the bible, God, Christ on a daily... he has been doing this since age 2. He has a keen sense of observation, and memory. Recently, he came to us to tell us he is "bored" in his kindergarten class and that his one...

My boyfriend is bored [ 4 Answers ]

I am 5 years older then my boyfriend he's only 21 but already is bored with sex we have tried just about everything he use to want it all the time but now doesn't what could be wrong

Bored [ 6 Answers ]

I've been in this relationship w/ a guy for 7 months. And every now and then I ask myself why am I still with him, especially because ill be going away to college next year. We were talking today and he told me he really doesn't want to be in a relationship because of the obligations but he still...

View more questions Search