Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bswbid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Understanding electrical code for hot tbs
    I live in Orange County, City of Ocoee, FL. New pool is almost completed. I am having a portable hot tub installed that requires 240v and 60 amps. I know the hot tub must be 10 feet from the pool edge and that the disconnect must be 5 ft from the hot tub and 20 feet from the pool edge. I also understand that the disconnect must be inline of sight and cannot be more that 20 feet from the hot tub. The entire pool area including the hot tub will be in a screen enclosure. The hot tub will be placed on a concrete reinforced brick paver deck that is built two steps (12 inches) from the base deck. Unfortunately, to get 5 feet from the hot tub, I will have to have the disconnect located at the bottom deck before the first step. This is going to look unsightly. Also, the disconnect will be about a foot on the inside as there is a 12 inch concrete footer that will carry the weight of the screen enclosure. The pool company's electrician has me worried as he was going to place the disconnect on the outside of the screen but this would be greater than 20 feet from the hot tub. I need some suggestions on how to make this work and look good at the same time. Attached is photo of the area. The hot tub is going to the rear corner where the electrical pipe is currently located, yes, a mistake. The white pvc is the location that will be 5 feet from the hot tub motor area. Thank you in advance.Name:  100_2361.JPG
Views: 1300
Size:  72.0 KB
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 08:12 AM
    My answer here is three fold. One to answer your question and another as a reminder.

Hot tub:
    Maybe you can use something like the Rubbermade outdoor storage things/benches that would serve as a chest for towells, but next to it have the disconnect. Basically so it doesn't look too out of place.

Pool and Hot tub:
    Make sure you follow the NEC code about grounding/bonding for pools and have the electrician put in an equipotential grid in the concrete. Also have all exposed handrails etc. grounded and a ground plate for the water. I hear there is a plate that is approved that can go into the skimmer. This avoids shocks.

There is a Sticky at the beginning of this section on how to read the NEC code online. You just can't copy or print.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
    bswbid,

Unless it is a local code, the disconnect must be readly accessible and within sight from its

Equipment. The NEC 2005 does not mention any distance ( such as 20 feet ) Article680.12

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help understanding why this happens! [ 5 Answers ]

I need help understanding this I am 15 years old and most of the time when I go to sleep at night my boyfriend stays on the phone because I have a tendency to stop breathing at night. Well for the past couple months when I fall asleep he has been saying to me I love you baby and when he says that I...

Trying to understanding men [ 16 Answers ]

Do men feel intimidated or turned-off by women who appear to be self-sufficient and independent? I've always thought that men do not like clingy, needy women... Maybe I should provide some background information... I accidentally clicked on "Save" before I was done typing! Oops! Please...

1989 honda civic. (code 4)crank angle sensor.(code 8) tdc position sensor [ 0 Answers ]

The car idles randomly after warm up.I check the ecu for codes and it gives 4 crank angle sensor and 8 tdc position sensor. I did a search and one of the ad posted by a guy in Canada says that he had to get part from different vehicles until he got all of them to work properly. Will I be able to...

Electrical Code Assistance Needed - Commercial Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Can a vanity light fixture be installed which has rice paper for the "lens" in a commercial bathroom?

Understanding men? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been seeing a lovely fella (usually!) for 8mths now. Im a young 43 and he is 30. Things have been fine although he has recently found out he has diabetes 2 and has had a lot of problems from that, emotional & physical. I have done everything to support and help him and always been there...

View more questions Search