Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainPaul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 07:07 AM
    C drive not showing in My Computer
    Good Day,

I believe that I have run into some sort of Malware... after surfing a bit, I hit something that loaded an unwanted "anti-virus" program in the C:\program files/VAV folder and caused real boot problems, I eventually got the system booted but the C drive does not show in My Computer... hence my McAfee scan does not look at the C drive, etc. etc.

The C drive can be acessed by typing in the folder name such as "C:\program files", then I can move up and down the folders with no problem...

1. How do I get my C drive back without losing any data?

2. Any idea what caused this?

Thaks

Paul
    f5snopro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 10:04 AM
    You definitely have a malware program on your system, sounds like Vitae Antivirus 2008. Take a look at this guide and give the steps a shot: How to remove Vitae Antivirus 2008 (Uninstall Instructions)
    CaptainPaul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Thanks for the tip... I am grinding my way through getting rid of the "antivirus" files, but I am stilling having trouble with the "My Computer" window to show the C: and D: drives... C: is the usual hard drive, D: ia a USB port with a flash drive.

Thanks

Paul
    St_Phoenix Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Well if you going on the "My Computer" icon --> Right click --> Manage --> Disk Management --> on the right hand side where your hard drive icon is --> Right click --> Choose --> Change drive letter and path --> and try to assign the letter to your hard drive that you want..
    St_Phoenix Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Well and for your other drives.. go to the bottom of device manager.. right click on the drive which drive letter or path you wants to change and choose the letter you want and click OK
    almccole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 07:13 PM
    My d drive does not show up in my computer
    Melted349 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 03:09 PM
    I work at a PC repair shop and I've had a few computers come in with this problem after some bad malware infections. Most of the time I've been able to use Microsoft's TweakUI to fix this.

You can get it here: Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
    sjwrick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
    This answer worked well for me. TweakUI is a swell solution.:)

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Melted349
    I work at a PC repair shop and I've had a few computers come in with this problem after some bad malware infections. Most of the time I've been able to use Microsoft's TweakUI to fix this.

You can get it here: Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD-Rom drive icon not showing in My Computer [ 1 Answers ]

The CD rom icon is not showing. Whenever the PC is booted I get a message "Atapi IDE device not loaded. V.12B device driver not loaded". Can someone help how to get the driver? Also how come this driver suddenly vanished?Previously it was functioning OK.. thanks

Dvd/cd drive not working or showing on computer. [ 1 Answers ]

Dvd drive not working.tryed to go into propertys and re install and on the auto search it says.windows has determend the software is up to date. When I do this manually it says; driver may be corupted or missing; + windows found driver software for your device but encountered a prob lem when...

My computer is not showing my dvd drive [ 1 Answers ]

My computer is not showing my dvd drive. Now what can I do?

My Computer, Drive letters options not showing up in XP [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm running Windows XP, SP2, IE7. If there is anything else that I should divulge to resolve, please feel free to ask me what more info is reqd. There are a set of problems I'm facing and would like the forum to help me resolve: When I open My Computer by double clicking from...

View more questions Search