Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 01:31 AM
    I have a confession
    I think I might have a compulsion. It is something that has haunted me all my life. I can't help but to pick and scratch at small bumps making them larger, red, bloody, and eventually into scars. I've got at least a hundred scars. What can I do to stop?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Hi, Momma!

If I recall, you did ask a question some time ago concerning this problem that you have. Would that be correct? If not, then I apologize for my faulty memory.

I have the same sort of problem, but maybe not on the scale of what yours is. But, mine is troublesome, just the same.

Do you know what is causing these sort of skin problems that you have? Maybe getting to the root of that might be the place to start. I know that some skin irritations can be so itchy that it's nearly impossible not to scratch or pick at them. I have one on my face right now that itches so much that I even scratch it in my sleep! It's like it's never going to heal, but if a put a Band Aide on it so that my scratching it doesn't affect it so much, it doesn't get any air in order to heal properly.

What about trying hypnosis?

Just a thought for you...

Thanks!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 16, 2008, 04:11 AM
    Hello ChihuahuaMomma

You amaze me more and more... How many (more) problems are you actually hiding in your cupboards? :)
    And how can you stop these ?

As to this compulsion : realizing and admitting that you have a compulsion already sets you on your way to recovery !

:)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Clough:
    Flowchart:
    Itch?
    ... Skin broken (no)?
    ... Bite (yes)?
    ... Stinger present (yes); Remove stinger, scrape, not pull
    ... Use amonia or meat tenderizer; later hydrocortesone creame
    ... Skin broken (yes)?
    ... Large wound(Yes); Not a covered case
    ... Knife Cut (yes); not a covered case
    ... Wash; with water; hydrogen peroxide or Betadyne
    ... Cover with band-aid and use Neosporin
    ... Change 2x daily until redness and itch disappear
    ... Cover daily (no Neosporin), uncover at night
    ... If itch returns; Bandaid-Neosporin daily, open at night

That should fix minor wounds and itches unless your alergic to Neosporin.

Mama:
    Sounds like a compulsion. Not sure how to fix.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Hello ChihuahuaMomma

You amaze me more and more ... How many (more) problems are you actually hiding in your cupboards? :)

As to this compulsion : realizing and admitting that you have a compulsion already sets you on your way to recovery !

Yes, she is pretty amazing! Also, she has asked, on this thread, only about how to stop the current problem that she is having and not about others insinuating that she might have other problems about which she might need help. As such, I do take exception to your even implying such a thing.

I do also know that she realizes that she has a problem and a possible compulsion and would appreciate it if others would address her question as such like she has posted without making insinuations.

Unless you have gotten to know a person, it's best not to be assuming or insinuating things based upon things that you don't really know about the person without knowing much at all about the person.

Thank you!
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Clough:
    Flowchart:
    Itch?
    ...Skin broken (no)?
    ........Bite (yes)?
    ...........Stinger present (yes); Remove stinger, scrape, not pull
    ....Use amonia or meat tenderizer; later hydrocortesone creame
    ...Skin broken (yes)?
    .......Large wound(Yes); Not a covered case
    .......Knife Cut (yes); not a covered case
    .......Wash; with water; hydrogen peroxide or Betadyne
    .......Cover with band-aid and use Neosporin
    .......Change 2x daily until redness and itch disappear
    .......Cover daily (no Neosporin), uncover at night
    .......If itch returns; Bandaid-Neosporin daily, open at night

That should fix minor wounds and itches unless your alergic to Neosporin.

Mama:
    Sounds like a compulsion. Not sure how to fix.
    Thanks for your response, K.I.S.S. You do provide excellent, respectable and quality answers on this site! I have tried both Hydrocortesone as well as Neosporin, but because the sore erupted even more when using them, I figured that I am allergic to them. The problem is that the sore is very close to one of my eyes where the skin is very thin. It started when I was wearing glasses where one of the nose pads had broken off. Also, I think that scar tissue has developed. It itches and because it is where it is and the way that I have treated it with my fingers, I keep opening the wound. It does heal, but takes a long time to do so. Any sore on my face seems to take forever to heal.

But, this is Momma's thread, so it would be best to leave it at that for her sake.

Thanks again!
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Clough:

Your wound won't heal because your re-infecting it from the bridge on your glasses.

I think your situation is fixable. First, set some very skin friendly adhesive tape. It exists, just forget the brand. I just tried some hospital stuff called 3M Micropore. It's a breathable tape. Micropore Tape - medical supplies, medical supply, home medical supplies

Test on another area of the skin. Wear a 1/2" patch before going to bed and see if it's removable without damage in the morning.

If the test is OK, what you will have to do is the following:
    At night wash your face with an antibacterial soap like Cutacura Antibacterial Soap (might have to order it). Cuticura . Leave wound open to air.

While your wearing your glasses make the following bandage:
    1) Cut a small piece of the gauze/plastic area out of a bandaid to cover the wound.
    2) Cut a small piece of the tape in whatever shape necessary to attach.
    3) Wash face and let dry before applying.

In this case, it's important not to "treat" it. You have to "protect" it.
    It's important to keep this area dry and clean and protected. This means:

1) Wash glasses in shaving creame and water (White foam suff) to remove any bacteria from the nose pads. It cleans the lenses well too.
    2) When wearing your glasses use the modified bandage.
    3) When not wearing your glasses (sleeping), leave open to the air.

Otherwise you won't get anywhere. Let me know what happens.

Moma:
    Hope you don't mind.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Mama:

Tell me a few things:

Where are these bumps? (face, chest, legs)? Distribution?
    What is your skin type in these areas? Oily, dry
    Vision Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hi, Momma!

If I recall, you did ask a question some time ago concerning this problem that you have. Would that be correct? If not, then I apologize for my faulty memory.

I have the same sort of problem, but maybe not on the scale of what yours is. But, mine is troublesome, just the same.

Do you know what is causing these sort of skin problems that you have? Maybe getting to the root of that might be the place to start. I know that some skin irritations can be so itchy that it's nearly impossible not to scratch or pick at them. I have one on my face right now that itches so much that I even scratch it in my sleep! It's like it's never going to heal, but if a put a Band Aide on it so that my scratching it doesn't affect it so much, it doesn't get any air in order to heal properly.

What about trying hypnosis?

Just a thought for you...

Thanks!
    It's not that they are itchy, it'swhen I see a small bump it looks like it needs to be "fixed" so I do, and end up making it worse. Just for the record half of my scars are from a child hood incident. PM and I'll tell more. But I scratched at those too.. I don't know what this is about. And yes, I've tried hynpotism. I can't be hypnotized.
    Vision Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Hello ChihuahuaMomma

You amaze me more and more ... How many (more) problems are you actually hiding in your cupboards? :)

Oh you don't even want to know!!
    Vision Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Mama:

Tell me a few things:

Where are these bumps? (face, chest, legs)? Distribution?
    What is your skin type in these areas? Oily, dry
    All over, it's usually an ingrown hair, pimple, or the kertosis pelaris on my arms.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 11:02 AM
    CM,
    As always I have some links which maybe helpful to you..
    Itching and Cronic Skin Picking caused by Depression and OCD - Psychogenic Excoriation
    All itches not created equal -- Different parts of brain activated depending on cause
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
    HI CM,

I remember when you asked this question before... when you first started coming here?

You have to ask yourself... do I do it because it causes pain?

The answer is probably yes, am I correct? (I developed a similar problem three years ago, and now I do it because it causes me pain)

If so, you will probably want to talk to a therapist about why you feel the need to have pain... is it a physical manifestation of emotional pain? And so forth.

My best wishes to you, cutie pie. :)
    Vision Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    HI CM,

I remember when you asked this question before....when you first started coming here??

You have to ask yourself....do I do it because it causes pain?

The answer is probably yes, am I correct? (I developed a similar problem three years ago, and now I do it because it causes me pain)

If so, you will probably want to talk to a therapist about why you feel the need to have pain...is it a physical manifestation of emotional pain? and so forth.

My best wishes to you, cutie pie. :)
    Incorrect actually. Why would I want to cause myself pain? It doesn't hurt to scratch. I hate the bumps ingrown hairs cause, I hate the lumps from the Keratosis Pelaris. I hate pus filled zits.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Beautiful Chi,

It sounds a little like a compulisive behaviour, but I think you know that. If it wasn't bumps you pick, it may be something else.

When I was younger, very young, I used to pull my eyelashes out. It was for no other reason then very bad nerves and upset. It was something I could control as I had very little control over the things that were going on in my life. Not sure how I stopped, but thankfully I did.

There is so much help out there today. Can you make an appointment with a doctor that you trust, and explain what you are doing?

Your too beautiful sweetheart to have to do this - Until you get to your doctor's - and you are ready to pick your bumps STOP right in your tracks, and ask yourself why you are doing it. Get a pen and paper out and write down the reasons. And each time you get the urge to do, STOP, and start writing.

Hugs to you.
    Vision Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Allheart, I will absolutely try that method. I do not have health insurance at the moment to do that. I will in three months, I will try and control myself until then. Like stated previously, I just started a second job, and will have money soon. So the insurance comes later. I know one thing that deters this is having acrylic nails, because they are so thick its too hard to pick, so I don't even try. So, hopefully soon that will be a normal budgeting thing. I love having french tips.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 05:16 PM
    If you have red bumps may I suggest taking a loofa on your skin to remove all the dead stuff on the skin. I sometimes get the red bumps and I counteract by using a loofa and they go away within a week and don't come back if I keep using a loofa. I also used to pick at scabs when I was a kid too. I wasn't happy unless I had something to pick at either and used to pick, pick, pick until I made whatever scab worse. Funny, I haven't done that in so many years now, can't remember when I stopped or why I stopped either for that matter.

The loofa gets rid of the ingrown hairs and keeps new ones from forming.
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 09:39 PM
    I've used a loofa for ten or so years... It's not gotten rid of anything. A lot of the ingrown hairs on my arms are from the KP. If only there was a cure for that.
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Sep 20, 2008, 01:52 PM

Control yourself we all have compulsions and we can all control them.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Sep 20, 2008, 02:03 PM

Compulsive picking is a sign of depression-
    I know from personal experience (my therapist told me)
    It stopped after I was on medication-
    However, if that is the only sign of any type of mood disorder then... I don't know!
    I just wanted to throw that out there-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Her Confession [ 2 Answers ]

There once was a religious young woman who went to Confession. Upon entering the confessional, she Said, "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned." The priest said, "Confess your sins and be forgiven." The young woman said, "Last night my boyfriend made mad passionate love to me seven...

His Confession [ 1 Answers ]

An elderly man walks into a confessional. The Following conversation ensues: Man: "I am 92 years old, have a wonderful wife of 70 years, many children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Yesterday, I picked up two college girls, hitchhiking. We went to a motel, where I had sex...

The Confession [ 2 Answers ]

An elderly Italian man who lived on the outskirts Of Montecassino went to the local church for confession. When the priest slid open the panel in the confessional, the man said, "Father ... During World War II, a beautiful Jewish woman from our neighborhood knocked urgently on my door and asked...

Confession [ 7 Answers ]

I was brought up Catholic. With the confession box. I was forced to go to confession growing up as a kid and felt bad going in there even though the only thing that I confessed was sometimes I did not listen to my parents. What else did I need to confess. Now that I am older it seems to me that...

View more questions Search