Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SabraTova Posts: 28, Reputation: 6

Jul 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
    Hello : )
    It's called a "short term energy release behaviour"... it relieves stress and anxiety for the short term.
    It's also called "self mutilation" and that's not a happy subject. When you break your skin whether accidentally or on purpose, the brain releases endorphins. These endorphins make you feel a little better for a little while--but it's not a permanent fix, that's why you've got to do it over and over.
    I do it too... I'm sure all of us that do this kind of thing have our own "special ways" that we do it too!
    I'm learning to overcome it by first becoming aware when I'm doing it--sometimes I don't even realize it until my fingernails are already bloody! Other times I do it intentionally and not by force of habit.
    So, awareness... and choosing NOT to do it, and find another way to get those endorphins released.
    Take an ice cube and hold it on a sensitive part of your skin--keep it there until it melts. It will hurt without damaging your skin and you'll get the endorphins. There is also going for a brisk walk, jump rope, clap your hands, dance, swing your arms round and round, BREATHE... there are lots of things one can do to release anxiety and gain the brain fix! I understand~I have scars and "active sites" now--but I'm doing MUCH better. Let us know how you're doing! I wish you well. : )

Jul 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
    Comment on SabraTova's post
    Ooookayyy... I see you asked this question back in 2008. Just noticed that. Sooooo, how's it going?

Jul 6, 2011, 07:33 PM
    Comment on ChihuahuaMomma's post
    I can't stand to leave anything IN my skin either. It's GOT to come out. I can relate.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 02:01 PM

Like I said, its been all my life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Her Confession [ 2 Answers ]

There once was a religious young woman who went to Confession. Upon entering the confessional, she Said, "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned." The priest said, "Confess your sins and be forgiven." The young woman said, "Last night my boyfriend made mad passionate love to me seven...

His Confession [ 1 Answers ]

An elderly man walks into a confessional. The Following conversation ensues: Man: "I am 92 years old, have a wonderful wife of 70 years, many children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Yesterday, I picked up two college girls, hitchhiking. We went to a motel, where I had sex...

The Confession [ 2 Answers ]

An elderly Italian man who lived on the outskirts Of Montecassino went to the local church for confession. When the priest slid open the panel in the confessional, the man said, "Father ... During World War II, a beautiful Jewish woman from our neighborhood knocked urgently on my door and asked...

Confession [ 7 Answers ]

I was brought up Catholic. With the confession box. I was forced to go to confession growing up as a kid and felt bad going in there even though the only thing that I confessed was sometimes I did not listen to my parents. What else did I need to confess. Now that I am older it seems to me that...

View more questions Search