Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tawshao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 10:52 PM
    Aid for felons?
    Is their any programs for felons to go to college? Or Is there grant for felons to go to college? In Washington State?
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Aug 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
    I hope not. That would suck. For me, not for you though. It'd make me want to run out and rob a few banks.
    kn_johnson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Comment on rockerchick_682's post
    I think this person needs some education before they open the jaw next time.
    kn_johnson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 09:47 PM

I don't know specifically about Washington State, however, I have been scouring the internet for my husband who is a convicted felon, and is tired of construction, and wants to go to school for political science. As far as I can tell, there is nothing specifically related to being a felon, or any type of incentive regarding eliminating the revolving door, or anything else. However, as long as you did not receive any type of drug conviction while receiving any type of federal aid in the past, ie) food stamps, medicaid, or federal aid for college, then you should be eligible to receive government student loans, possibly even a grant that you don't have to pay back, depending on your financial situation. Go to FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid and it will tell you all about what paperword and documentation you need to apply. You can apply online. Also check out FastWeb: Scholarships, Financial Aid and Colleges. You answer a whole bunch of questions, skip a whole bunch of internet offers that only spam your inbox, but eventually, it matches you with scholarships, internships, and work-study programs that you qualify for. This site just matches you based on some basic answers, once you are matched, you have to do the rest of the leg work to actually apply for these programs. Hope this info helps, I know it was really long.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 12:49 AM

Hi, tawshao and kn_johnson!

Kn_johnson, I agree with you about the FAFSA. I'm not sure about the FastWeb site though, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for posting about that.

To tawshao, I would just like to add the following that I've already posted elsewhere on this site, and also in support of what kn_johnson has posted.

Has someone told you that you aren't going to be able to get a scholarship or financial aid of some kind because you have a felony on your record? There most likely will be some kind of financial aid available, depending on your grades and income of yourself and/or parents, through whatever college it is to which you apply. Much of that information might be readily available online on the website of the particular institution.

I have heard something about the possibility of grants and scholarships being available through FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for those who have been convicted of a felony. However, it would depend on what the conviction was for and an applicant's compliance with certain stipulations in order to be eligible. For more information, please visit FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Once a person has done their time been on probation or parole, basically paid their debt to society, then they are free to apply for monies just like anyone else does in the form of loans or financial aid from educational institutions, banks, municipalities and others.

But, like I said above earlier, in order to be eligible for grants or scholarships from certain programs that are designed to help those who have been convicted of a felony, then it might depend on what the conviction was for and that certain conditions must be met.

Thanks!
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Nov 16, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerchick_682 View Post
    I hope not. That would suck. For me, not for you though. It'd make me want to run out and rob a few banks.
    I was stating my opinion, why should people who've done wrong have more help than the rest of us to get into college? Doesn't sound right to me.
    the jargonite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 08:18 PM
    I was stating my opinion, why should people who've done wrong have more help than the rest of us to get into college? Doesn't sound right to me.
    Realistically there shouldn't be more help for one than the other.but aid for felons would do a world of good compared to sitting in a cell only to be released to a worse situation.you do the crime you do the time.but jail alone as a rehabilitaion is just stupid.and many don't know that prisons and jails are ran just like a business.the more inmates they get.the more funding THEY get.and that's not fair either.its just another stupid incentive to lock people up for stupid offenses.marijuana is one ,in my opinion that is raking in the dough for prisons around america.
    Now if you want to talk about unfair,lets look at all of the funding going to immigrants,who use it to get an education here in america,then go back to their own country.and believe it or not.they are on just a little higher priority than our own here.im sure these immigrants are being considered before other americans whom have paid taxes yet have a felony conviction or other offense.thats a crime in itself.if you have ever paid taxes as an american citizen you should be considered and helped.because if you have done a crime,you do the time,you pay probation,and probably restitution for your crime as well.all an immigrant has to do is step foot on us soil and HEY LOOK,LETS HELP THEM.im a convicted felon.ive done my time.im paying my fine,and I have paid taxes since I was 16 years old.I have relatives that gave their lives in world war 2,and my mother shook hands with nancy pelosi for all of the work she has done for the american legion here in Florida.I have done volunteer work for the veteran support organization and I would fight in the army if I were called.don't you think I should be considered over someone who comes here from haiti.and they get their degree and go back to their country to work?I don't think so tim.
    kreynolds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Let's just close our minds and deny the usefulness of an education. I work for a community college in California and am actively searching for grant money to continue my work. I have a group of 20+ parolee's that I provide educational assistance and counseling for. With the grant money I have received, I have assisted them with the necessary items-tools to succeed in their educational goals. I have seen a very positive outcome for the $ spent. This is a program specific to parolee's and the grant's I receive is only allocated for that population.

The idea is: issues in our past should be just that! Education has been proven to aid in rehabilitation and from the gate parolee offenders have the least. I don't know you but can assume that you have a home, computer, and possibly make more than 75 cents a day. If that was the case and you didn't have an education, what would be your options? The assistance provides options and in retrospect protects you and your family.

Thank you for your opinion and I hope that this helps you see the flipside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 50 year old professional who has a 10 year old drug possession felony On my record--my skills qualify me to become a small business consultant Helping small businesses use proven business practices and modern technology To grow and prosper. I would like to start my own small business...

Passports for felons [ 8 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon obtain a passport?

Felons in IT? [ 3 Answers ]

Is IT a field where a felon can get a job? Got a question already posted about being an OTR Truck driver. Have not given up on the idea but the FEC won't pay for training in that area for a felon with less than 10 years on a felony.

Fin aid for felons [ 6 Answers ]

Is there aid available for convicted felons?

View more questions Search