Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Can a landlord regulate tenant activities?
    This is just a general question, based on some discussions I have been having: Can a landlord specify that certain items are not allowed in the apartment as part of the lease? I know that I've had leases that prohibited things like fish tanks, water furniture, and pets, which seems to say that they can choose to outlaw items if they wish. But could they put in a "no guns" clause? Or would the Second Amendment trump that? What about something like skateboards, which are not covered in any constitutional amendment?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Yes, the landlord can regulate that. The 2nd Amendment says that the government may not make laws that abridge those rights. It doesn't mean that a private party can't make those kinds of rules.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Yes they can, but they can't change it in mid lease. You will see stores, at least where I live that often have signs that prohibit guns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant landlord law [ 6 Answers ]

Last Saturday my roommate up and moved out while I was at a baseball game. We have a signed lease which I am assuming makes it a binding contract and her liable for the remainder of the lease. But my real question is... the landlord allowed her to sign a lease to live in another apartment on the...

Tenant and Landlord [ 2 Answers ]

How would I settle a judgement made against me when I was never aware of or told about a court date? Is a tenant supposed to pay rent to a landlord who is not doing what their supposed too?:mad:

Landlord and tenant [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my husband and 2 yr old son have been living in our apartment sense June of this year... and the first thing I wanted to ask was... how long should it take a landlord to fix a door to our apartment? Because they also own the store downstairs and well they haven't fixed it in 6 months. Also...

Tenant Landlord NY law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NY apt for 27 years, advised landlord I might be moving out in 2 months due to a strong business possibility in another State. He advised me to sign 1 more year lease in case bsnss doesn't go through and added a clause I can break the lease with a 30 days prior written notice to him, I...

Landlord/Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

Landlord is suing me in small claims court, for not providing a written notice, damage to Unit, Garbage disposal and for unpaid rent, I did give two months verbal notice, did not damage unit, have all copies of cheques paid and a letter from One of the partner stating I have paid my rent on time...

View more questions Search