Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrdmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:37 PM
    10 year old still pooping pants
    My daughter has started pooping her pants. She is of normal intelligence. Nothing we have tried has helped. Anyone know of any possible causes or solutions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
    What reasons does she give you or is she just too lazy to go to the bathroom?
    Is she going through some stress she can't cope with?
    Or seeking attention?
    Doesn't she care if others might make fun of her?
    Is she just doing it at home?
    mrdmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:46 PM
    No she is not under any stress. Doesn't care if others know. She does it in public, at friends house, and at home. She does have ADD and possibly a mood disorder and takes Concerta and Abilify
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 08:51 PM
    What they eat or don't eat and toileting are only two of the way kids can take control of things. Something is going on in her life right now. Like NOhelp said, is there stress or a change in how things are done or a new person in her life or a person missing from her life? Something is bothering this little girl. Make this a calm problem-solving thing with her. Don't ask a flat-out "why." Keep your temper under control. The more upset you get, the worse the situation will become.

Go to your public library and find a book or two on toileting problems for this age. There will be suggestions on how to work with her to fix this problem.

Please let us know how things are going.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Sounds like she is just being lazy or stubborn.

The only thing I can think of is to ask the doctor and don't let her go places any more than necessary like school would be about all she can go to until she accepts that this is unacceptable behavior.
    Like if she wants to go to friends tell her no because they wouldn't want you sitting on their sofa with poopy pants. Do not cater to her by having her take a change of clothes with her either because that just reinforces that she can get away with it.
    Maybe some day she will embarrass herself by having a real nasty mess in public then I wonder what she would do? But they may be what it takes.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 02:14 AM
    Hi mrdmom,

A young child is expected to occasionally have an accident like this, but in a 10 year old it is not acceptable.

This is a psycological and emotional problem, this little girl is suffering in some way.

I suggest you take her to your GP to be referred to professionals who will help her.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 11:53 AM
    I bet someone is sexually molesting the poor girl, or abusing her in some way. She is regressing to an earlier time in her life our of severe distress. Did she just start going into puberty... developing small breasts and pubic hair?

Is your husband molesting her?

Do you have a new boyfriend?
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 11:56 AM
    I agree with Orphan and Choux it could be those things. Maybe informing her you are going to take her to a psychologist so they can get to the problem may get her to stop.
    If not follow through and take her. Nothing else seems to be working for you and I don't think there is an easy solution.
    bretay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2012, 05:47 AM
    My 10 year old does this also.And she is not being abused in any way,by anybody.She just doesn't think it is normal to go the bathroom.We have tried everything.The Doctors call it encopresis.We are hoping she will outgrow it soon.She has been lucky at school to not have any friends call her on it.So she has not gotten embarrassed.And we think that's what it is going to take.We are also making her start wearing a diaper until she can prove she can go to the bathroom.It is more embarrassing for us than it is for her.She is really stubborn and it is a power of wills at work.She doesn't care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 year old dog suddenly pee/pooping in the house! [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know WHAT to do about this. I've had my dog for 3 years now, ever since she was 8 weeks. I house trained her as soon as I got her, and she got the hang of it right away. She's been so good about it for the past 3 years. However, in the past 2 weeks, she's suddenly been peeing and...

Cat Likes My Pants [ 1 Answers ]

For some reason, Whenever I am sitting down and my cat comes near me, she starts smelling my pants. She rubs her chin on them and starts acting all playful. Is this for attention, or is she trying to mark her territory? I have heard that cats rub against you to mark you with scent glands under the...

4 year old dog pooping and peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a four year old husky that we adopted from a rescue sheltre when he was 1 year old and he was already housetrained. We never used to have problems with him since we were always very good about letting us know when he had to go outside. A little while ago when I came home one day I saw that...

Is he just trying to get in my pants? [ 42 Answers ]

I have a boyfriend, he's 16, I'm 12. My friends say that he is a nice guy, but is he just trying to get in my pants? He is coming over to my house for New Year's, along with 2 other friends, is going to try something?

Why is my 1 year old Boston pooping in his crate? [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I have a 1 year old male (neutered) Boston Terrier who started pooping and peeing in his cage. I take him out every couple hours, and just before bed time. He has to sleep in his crate at night because he eats anyhing and everything if not supervised. His crate is the perfect size, and he has...

View more questions Search