Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Tax credit for worthless stock inheritance
    A worthless stock is part of my inheritance. Any tax value?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Probably not to you. It could have been declared on the fiduciary return by the estate (assuming the estate is large enough to file a fiduciary return).

The stock assumes the FMV at time of death, which was probably zero. That means you cannot dispose of the stock and get a capital loss.
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Probably not to you. It could have been declared on the fiduciary return by the estate (assuming the estate is large enough to file a fiduciary return).

The stock assumes the FMV at time of death, which was probably zero. That means you cannot dispose of the stock and get a capital loss.
    The stock is part of an account which is joint with the right of survivership. We think of it as inherited because my then 88 year old mother originally made the investment. (I am brand new to this posting stuff so I asked a very general question, initially.) Does this change things? The account was changed to the joint account before she died at 94.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Even if it's a joint account, it's STILL her stock. My original answer applies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Price of stock [ 1 Answers ]

What would you calculate the price to pay for a stock with 13% required rate of return, 4% rate of dividend growth, and an annual dividend of $2.50 which will be paid tomorrow?

Knowing if stock is worthless [ 3 Answers ]

We bought 10,000 shares of stock in the late 90's in a "startup" company through a Canadian broker (we are in U.S.) which, as best we can tell, went belly-up. The brokerage gave us the stock certificate a few years ago. It is not traded anywhere. I would like to write it off as worthless stock....

Deducting a worthless stock [ 1 Answers ]

A stock I bought about 3 years ago is now worthless. I can't sell, it has no value. How can I claim this loss? Can I simply use Schedule D? Or is there something else I have to do?

View more questions Search