Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Has2LoseWeight Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Dogs on Ferries
    I live in britain and always go to ireland to see family except I just got a puppy in January of whom will be just over a year old at christmas time the next time I will be going to ireland. I want to take him with me and my family when we go and I have found out that because we are from the UK he does not need a pet passport I wanted to know if he needs to be microchipped as I seriously do not want to get this done and is there and way of me taking him with me with out getting this done? PLEASE HELP!

Thank you in advance for any answers
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
    I don't know about the rules in that part of the world. I'm wondering why you are against microchipping your puppy. If he ever gets lost or stolen, it's helps getting him found again.

Aug 16, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Well I have had him since January and he is so adorable. There is really no chance of him going missing as there is someone with him at all times of the day. And there will always be someone with him at all times of the day. I just can't bear the idea of putting a chip into his head and him having a scar on his little head for the rest of his life. To be honest.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
    I'm not so sure anyone really expects their dog to "run away" or go "missing"... that's why the microchip's a backup. No one ever expects their KID to go missing, but they do.

There won't be a scar, nor will there be pain... a minor discomfort much like a shot.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 05:19 PM
    My cats are microchipped. No pain, no obvious lump, no scar, no aftereffects.

Some nursing homes are beginning to microchip Alzheimer's patients in case they escape the safety there. Normally, they are safe behind locked doors, but things happen.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 05:40 PM
    It Would Be On The Nape Of His Neck And Is Smaller Than A Grain Of Rice. They Don't Feel It So Don't Worry. Sorry About The Caps
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
    When my dogs got chipped, it didn't go in their heads. It went in their shoulders.

Also my dog gets out all the time and she too is never alone. Sometimes she sees cats or squirrels or other things that make her go crazy and charge out the door when a friend is over. You never know when the dog may try to run out, so its good to have the chip as a back up
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE
    when my dogs got chipped, it didnt go in their heads. it went in their shoulders.
    Yup. Right into the spot between the shoulder blades, south of the back of the neck.

Aug 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Im just really worried that I will leave some hideous scar that I will feel every time I go to rub him or that he will get agitated by it and scratch it or something. I just cannot imagine putting some piece of metal into my puppies head. :( I know it sounds stupid but I love him to pieces and don't want to see anything go wrong.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Has2LoseWeight
    Im just really worried that i will leave some hideous scar that i will feel everytime i go to rub him or that he will get agitated by it and scratch it or something. I just cannot imagine putting some piece of metal into my puppies head. :( i know it sounds stupid but i love him to pieces and dont want to see anything go wrong.
    It won't be on/in his head and you can't feel it once it's in there. And he can't reach to scratch back there--that's why that spot was chosen for the chip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

New dog/old dogs. [ 1 Answers ]

So my husband had found this dog at his work a few days ago. Helooks like a bordercollie mix. We already have two dogs, a cocker spaniel, and a jackrussell/lahaso apso. The jack/lahaso is only a year old and loves to play with other dogs, so the new dog and the little one get along fine. But...

Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone no when the pit bull banning started? I need 2 know because I'm doing a speech on the bannings of pit bulls.

Dogs don't get along [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my 3 yr old chihuahua to accept my 3 month old Italian Greyhound? The puppy is smaller than the chihuahua, but he acts scared of the puppy. He tries to bite him if he is too close and shows his teeth when he is around. Help, please!!

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

View more questions Search