Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Boycott Exxon and other Ol Companies
    Exxon profits, we lose
    You decide for yourself:

ExxonMobil made $32 billion in 2005, despite sky-high gas prices and natural disasters that flattened many Americans. Yet the world's largest oil co. still refuses to invest even a fraction of its billions in safe, renewable energy like wind and solar. Nor will they pay the damages they still owe to Alaska fishermen and natives hurt by the '89 Exxon Valdez oil spill.

So the ExxposeExxon.com Coalition created a cartoon lampooning this company that is all profits, no conscience. You can view it here

All of us should boycott the Oil companies , If everyone in this country would not purchase fuel for one day, the system would back up, they would have not where is put the fuel. They depend on sales every single day to have room to put the fuel.

With the summer season just around the corner and gas price is predicted to reach $5.00 by June, it is time to boycott and protest the greed of the oil companies.
    :mad:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Hi,
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    Getting Americans to boycott Exxon-Mobile gas stations would really be telling it like it is.
    Some time back, there was a posting somewhere of gas stations that did not use gas from Exxon, or use foreign oil. such as I think, BP, Sunoco, and others that end in "co".
    There are some Yahoo Groups that are proposing such a boycott. But, if it doesn't go nationwide, it won't matter. We only use about 25% of the World's oil, but we could make a difference here in the US by a large, nationwide, boycott. I do think that when gas prices hit $8.00 a gal, just as an example, something will happen.
    $5.00 by June? According to CBS Network, it's already $4.50 per gallon at one station in Brooklyn, NY.!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2006, 07:00 AM
    The US is the largest single user of oil by country. It doesn't help that the rampant consumerism has instilled a feeling that if you don't drive a large SUV then you are lower class. Really now, what is the purpose of having a Hummer? The oil companies are feeding off this mentality and reaping the profits. Spend some time in Europe and notice what they are driving.

So what is the alternative to using oil? That's the big question.

FYI for Fred: the "co" at the end of a company's name usually is short for "company".
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Apr 20, 2006, 07:10 AM
    I agree Need. I drive a '92 Saturn that gets 30-32 mpg. I also have a minivan because we have 2 kids and it is more convenient. My wife wanted it also. We bought it before the gas really went up high and we paid it off last year. It only gets 20mpg. If we could afford a more economical car that could fit a tandem stroller we would. OUr budget doesn't allow car payment. I don't think I would personally get an SUV because of the gas mileage. Hummer -- no way. I agree with you, that is the most impractical vehicle around.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 20, 2006, 08:40 AM
    If we "backed up the system", even as you described, don't you think the cost of that backup would ultimately be passed back on to us anyway? It sounds good, but I just don't see a one day event like this being practical at accomplishing much.

I only buy gas 2 or 3 times a month as it is... and it's already expensive for me - and that's just the usual driving around town.

I think many people's summer vacation plans are being curbed already because of the high gas prices - and that does hit the oil companies because it the "extra topping" over the summer.

BTW - I heard on the radio yesterday that gas in Venezuela is something like 4 cents a litre!
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 20, 2006, 09:56 AM
    The one way to decrease oil if possible by boycott is to boycott ONE company that is a major player. Why? The gas companies all work together to set a daily price. (I worked at a gas station 2 years) The way it works is the manager of every store has to go (or call) to each station within a certain distance of their store and report their gas prices to their manager. They then configure the days price by averaging the other stations prices, what the higher ups say and by seasonal trend.
    The way you reduce the prices is to boycott ONE store that is widespread like Exxon etc. and this boycott has to be LARGE. Stopping about 75% of business. Then that store will be forced to lower its prices to get business. The other stores will be forced to compete by lowering their prices to retain their business. The trick is that once they lower and people go back to the boycotted store, they will raise the prices again.
    So that presents another problem solution. If you did a rotating boycott, it might work better. Two weeks on a schedule to boycott in rotation all of the major stores. You pick the 4-6 giants and give each a 2 week boycott, in some order, rotating every 2 weeks.
    The problem there is getting the boycott rotation list out in mass to people so they can follow it.

So in the end you either must completely boycott all gas stations or live with high prices.

The best solution?? Biodiesel!! It is a mix of diesel and a grease/corn/soybean fuel. Google it and see what you find. It can be made at home so long as it is done safely and correctly. All you need is to convert to a diesel vehicle. The savings are as low as $.71 cents per gallon!! Stations are popping up all over that are selling mixes for a slightly lower rate than regular gas or diesel. The problem is more people have to get a diesel car. But it is the only long term effective solution besides hybrid vehicles.
    So be part of the solution and maybe the big oil co's will not only lower their prices but begin to make a cleaner alternative that doesnt use fossil fuels.

Hypatia

PS If you have money and want to invest in a soon to hit business. Go into the biodiesel business. You will make millions in 5 years. I give my word on this!
    aguywithfeet Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jan 8, 2011, 08:40 AM
    *raspberry* Oil companies will realize what is going on and figure out some solution besides lowering prices. They are people not an Atari. Probably sell off the remaining oil wholesale or have new shipments wait in the channels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furniture companies [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question about the top ten furniture companies in the USA. Does anyone know who are the top ten furnitute companies in the USA? Or does anyone know where I can find this information on the web? Thank you.

Electrical companies [ 7 Answers ]

Respected Sir/Madam I like to get the information of kolkata based electrical companies with their contact address,telephone no. & web-site address. This is related to the campus placement of NETAJI SHUBHASH ENGINEERING COLLEGE for electrical engineering department students. Thanks...

What credentials are companies looking for? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi. I'm working right now on my A+ Certification. I'm planning to get a Network+ certification and Linux+ or LPIC1 certification as well. Basically, I'm starting in the computer field. I've been using computers since the BBS days on my 286 Tandy 2500XL computer with its 40MiB hard drive. :) ...

Web hosting companies [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone have any suggestions for a web hosting company. I need to know the pros and cons of both. I went ona site that listed a few of them and compared them. What do you think of these if oyu know them: Powweb - www.powweb.com Ipower - ipower.com Blue host - bluehost.com

View more questions Search