Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usound76 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Real Estate Lien placed on home
    I'm have sold my home and I'm supposed to close this afternoon. My realtor just called me and said that I have a lien on the property from the builder. This lien was placed in July 2006. I purchased the home new from the builder in December 2005. This is the first I've ever heard about a lien. The builder has since gone bankrupt and is currently in jail for fraud and is under Federal investigation. If the company holding this lien has gone bankrupt, is the lien still valid? Will my sale still go through? I need some answers QUICK! Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Didn't you hire a title company? This can be a major problem. The lien will need to be satisfied or removed before you can close.

Aug 15, 2008, 08:30 AM
    My realtor hired a title company and they just found out this morning that there was a lien. How can the lien be paid if the company is bankrupt and out of business? Not that I have $3000.00 in my back pocket.

Aug 15, 2008, 08:33 AM
    If the company is in bankruptcy, you need to get a release from the recever.

The Title company may hold out $3K from the proceeds of the sale and place it in escrow pending resolution of the lien.

Aug 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
    How do I do that, and how fast can I get it?

Aug 15, 2008, 08:35 AM
    See my amended answer. Talk to the attorney handling the closing.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:37 AM
    I'm not that familiar with a builders lien, but wouldn't he have had to take you to court in order to get this lien in place?

Were you served notice to answer, or appear for a hearing?

If a suit was required for this lien to be placed against your home, and you were never properly served to answer or appear, you may be able to motion to vacate the judgment based upon no legal service.

Aug 15, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    I'm not that familiar with a builders lien, but wouldn't he have had to take you to court in order to get this lien in place?.
    This probably falls under the heading of a mechanics lien which doesn't require a court order.

Aug 15, 2008, 08:43 AM
    I was NEVER served anything and there was no hearing that I know of. The other problem, in addition to this, is that this sale is a short sale to avoid foreclosure after my divorce. My ex also has NO IDEA about this lien. There are no proceeds of the sale, so now what?

Aug 15, 2008, 08:46 AM
    You are caught between a rock and a hard place. The buyer wants clear title, you can't give it, at least not unless you place the $3K in escrow.

Don't you have an attorney handling the sale? Have you asked them?

Aug 15, 2008, 08:48 AM
    I can't get a hold of the attorney, no one answers, and I only get voicemail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to place a lien on real estate property [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently living with my husband and have been for the last 8 years. We are married for 6 years now. We are going through some very rocky situations and he is trying to refinance our property. I am not on title with him but that was only because he chose not to put me on even after the first...

Lien on Minnesota Real Estate property [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a free form to place a lien on a Minnesota property?

Real estate lien [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a sign company and about 4 months ago we manufactured and installed some signage, the building that we installed at, now has only paid us a portion of what was owed I have tried to resolve the issue and have gotten nowhere. My question is how do I put a lien on the building for...

Home in revocable trust and real estate taxes [ 1 Answers ]

We recently put our house in a revocable trust, per our lawyer advice, with the purpose of having the house passed to our children smooth and easy in case of our death, 2 days ago we received a letter from the county property appraisal office telling us that our application for homestead exemption...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search