Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikeshtnt Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Execl Validation
    I have created a Reimbursement claim form. In this form there are some information has to be filled and based on that some formula is there. I want that if some one fills this then he/she should not leave any required information blank.

Informations are like, Emp Code, Name, Dates etc.

When employee filles this form they never mention Employee code, which is mandatory.

I want to put a validation in that excel file so that they get a prompt massage while saving excel file before filling all required details (all yellow cells in the attached xls file) . They can save only after filling all details.

Can I get some macro for this.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls AAA Claim Form.xls (52.5 KB, 174 views)
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Is this form a template they open (.xlt), or an .xls they open?
    Software Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Here you go. I added a script that runs whenever you try to SAVE the document. I also changed the form to an .xlt so that when it is opened it is not the original document, is a new document based on the template.

If you want to see what I did, press ALT-F11 to open the VB Editor, then double click on ThisWorkbook on the left panel. It will open the script and you can look it over.

Cheers.
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: zip AAA Claim Form-1.zip (28.3 KB, 83 views)
    Software Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Also, there are some typos I couldn't correct since you had the sheet protected:

Assignement = Assignment
    entitelment = entitlement
    mendetory = mandatory

Also, while the sheet is unprotected select all the cells that AREN'T yellow, open the FORMAT CELLS > PROTECTION
    Lock the cells you don't want edited

When you protect the document, UNCHECK the "select locked cells" option so the users only have to cursor through the yellow cells.

Nifty.
    nikeshtnt Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Thanks a ton!

It is a template so and as it is opening in excel is fine.

Just a small question... Is there any do & don't in this file to run macro properly?
    Software Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 07:55 AM
    No, the macro runs ITSELF every time you try to save it. Pretty cool.

But, the script that is checking the yellow cells will not update itself if you ever redesign or update the content of this template. If you move a cell or add another one, you will have to MANUALLY edit the script to accommodate.

Also, as you may have already have figured out, the cells are blank when you open the template, but they cannot be blank to save it. This includes saving the template. So, you might ask, "How do I save the template in the first place if the template needs the cells to be blank but there is a script running that won't let me save it if the cells are blank?"

The trick is to open template, make your edits/updates, then turn on the CONTROL Toolbar and click the "Design Mode" button. With the Design Mode clicked, you can save the template and the script won't run.

Since I couldn't make the typo changes I noted above, this would be a good test for you to see if you can update the template.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Validation letter [ 1 Answers ]

Once again, thanks mr. yet. Is there any certain format that I need to use for a validation letter or just type up the "quote" and send. Would this be considered a DISCOVERY? Also how do I go about filing a notice to defend with the court? I've never had to do this before and your help is greatly...

Debt Validation [ 2 Answers ]

I ordered a copy of my credit report and found a debt on it that I do not believe that I owe. I sent a letter to this collection ageny requesting to validate this debt. I just got a response stating that the do not have to validate since the law provides that unless you demand validation of the...

Debt validation [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in finding out if: collection agencies notice of the 30 day to respond. Say if this notice is dated a year ago. Can I still write and ask for the validation of debt owed requesting the documents, etc. under the law. Can I do this and just keep it on file. Will it be justified...

View more questions Search