Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 19, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Protesting at Military Funerals?
    What does everyone think about protesting at Military Funerals? I think it is wrong to do this, even though I am against the war. I do believe in freedom of speech, but I think morally people should leave these families to grieve the loss of their loved one. After all they died fighting for our country, and it is not their fault they over their fighting. Peace be with the families of war veterans. I lost a friend to this war, and although I don't agree with the reason we are over there, I think we should support our troops, in other words, support their well-being and that they make it home safely, because so many of them are not. What does everyone else think?
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
    I think people should respect and be kind to others' feelings.
    I don't live in the states, but this doesn't matter: these families have lost their most precious one - people should help them bear their pain, and have the tact to express their political views elsewhere
    Here the issue is human suffering and not politics
    I live in a country which has been in war ever since...
    We suffer a lot of casualties. A lot of our soldiers (including my kids) don't always agree with the government politics, yet they have to obey the law. Many soldiers were killed or badly injured, and their personal political views were in contradiction with the gov. policy.
    Every time I hear about a soldier being killed, my heart weeps with his family - it was like that even before I had kids of my own.
    I pray daily to god that I should never encounter such a tragedy at any kind of close range.
    I apologize for the long answer, but this ia a I very touchy issue for me
    Millie

Apr 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
    milliec-God bless your children and your country!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    What does everyone think about protesting at Military Funerals?
    That church group that has been protesting at funerals should have their religious status taken away from them. I am all for religious freedom, but their actions have NOTHING to do with religion. Their actions are totally political. To protest a war (even though it needs protesting) by attacking the victims of that war is reprehensible.
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 19, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    milliec-God bless your children and your country!
    Thanks Cgirl !
    Millie
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 19, 2006, 11:26 AM
    I agree that this practice is horrible. It is one thing to protest a war but another to protest at a death. Does the dead have the ability to change the status of the war? Does the dead persons relatives have the power to change the war? NO! It is just a way to get publicity to get people to recognize their thoughts. Even bad publicity is good publicity.
    I find it sick. It kinda makes me hope that God does toss a lightening bolt down and ZAP all fried like a southern chicken leg on a hot summer day. It is hard to speak of this without using profanity!

Hypatia
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Pathetic, just pathetic. Some idiots think that "freedom of speech", "freedom of expression", et al, means "anytime, anyplace".
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Hi,
    ACLU lawmakers probably made this possible!
    I don't agree with protesting at funerals, no matter what the circumstances, whether it be a public funeral or otherwise. Yet, freedom of speech and gatherings in public are legal; regardless of "morals".
    It's just another thing America is losing; respect for it's own.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2006, 06:47 AM
    It's wrong on so many levels. Grieving is deeply personal and a time for the family. Same goes with weddings.

I have no idea what the ACLU has to do with this but oh well.

Apr 20, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    ACLU lawmakers probably made this possible!
    I don't agree with protesting at funerals, no matter what the circumstances, whether it be a public funeral or otherwise. Yet, freedom of speech and gatherings in public are legal; regardless of "morals".
    It's just another thing America is losing; respect for it's own.
    First, the group that was doing the protesting was a Christian church group who hit on it as a way to get publicity for their anti-war cause. Blaming it on the ACLU, is, in my opinion a low shot.

I believe that funerals are considered a private, not public event. Therefore, there would be a question in my mind whether freedom of speech applies here. Of course, the outside of a funeral home or cemetery is public property.

I don't think this is anywhere close to an example of America losing its respect for its own. I think this is an example of a small, extremist group looking for something that will gain them publicity. The vast majority of the reaction I've seem to this group has been overwhelmingly negative. This shows that America retains respect for its own and disdain for extremist groups who don't.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 20, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Using a funeral to make a political point is callous and inhuman. There needs to be a law to protect a grieving family from assaults like this with stiff penalties to boot.:cool: :mad:
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Apr 20, 2006, 07:30 AM
    I agree. This isn't right. Does anyone have a link to the story? I tried to find but couldn't.

Apr 20, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Try this link:
    http://www.nwherald.com/MainSection/...1560662821.php

Also Google military funeral protest. That should find several articles about it. Apparently several legislators are proposing and passing laws curbing this practice.

By the way I was wrong in my earlier notes. The group isn't protesting the war. They are protesting the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on homosexuality. The group, Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan, is a homophobic church.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Apr 20, 2006, 09:18 AM
    I am not going to debate whether the reason they were protesting is right or not, I do agree they shouldn't be taking that opportunity to proetest anything at that point. I am actually ashamed as a Christian for them that instead of bringing words of comfort to the families of the deceased soldiers they decided to bring on more grief. Heck, if they went all the way over to the crash the funeral, they should have brought food with them to feed the families. Oh well, who am I to say what they should have or shouldn't have done. :)

Apr 20, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Here is a link about the law they are trying to pass to ban all protesting within a certain distance of a military funeral:
    http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=16064

I am all for this law... Let people rest in peace. As for the church that is protesting about gay rights in the military... I say to them... GET A LIFE!! Tell someone who cares. Deal with it. Haven't people ever heard the term "choose your battles wisely" apparently these people haven't.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 20, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Just to add my agreement with all of you - Protesters have points they should be allowed to make, but not at a funeral... military or otherwise.

It's a simple matter of respect for the dead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military wedding [ 9 Answers ]

I'm not engaged yet, I'm getting the ring on his next leave ( one month).. but however he wants to get married with in like 3-4 months, where as I wanted to get married in about 9-12.. how ever that is changing.. I'd marry him tomorrow if I could. I want a simple wedding, I don't need anything...

Countries without a military? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me how many,and which countries do NOT have a standing army? Or where I can find that information? Thanks!

Children and funerals [ 1 Answers ]

My husband's grandmother, with whom my childeren ages 13 and 8 were very close to just passed away after being ill for the past 3 months. My dilema is we were taking the children to the funeral but NOT the wake. Now, my husbands family is making us feel bad. They thought the children would be...

Which countries do NOT have a military? [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me how many,and which countries do not have a standing army? Or information where I might locate this? Thanks you!

View more questions Search