Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eeeao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Standard Form to move motion to produce document
    I need to file a motion in the court to compel the attorney for credit card company to produce debt proof. Where can I find this form? Any help will be appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Hello e:

There is NO form. Every court has it own way it likes documents presented. Some may or may be the same as other courts. If you don't practice regularly in that court, then you'll probably do it wrong.

If you're defending yourself, you're going to be better off just writing a certified letter to the attorney, send a certified copy to the court, and ask the judge to accept your letter as a motion. He probably will.

excon
    Cailleac Bhuer Posts: 31, Reputation: 1
    -

Aug 17, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeao
    I need to file a motion in the court to compel the attorney for credit card company to produce debt proof. Where can I find this form? Any help will be appreciated.
    Yes, it is not a form, but a pleading. You need to reearch the court rules for your jurisdiction. It is not hard to type up. You could also research "Production of Documents and Things for Inspection."

First you ned the proper heading format, most word programs have pleading template you can use. Title would be DEMAND FOR INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS
    The body would go like this:

DEMANDING PARTY:

RESPONDING PARTY;

SET NUMBER:

Pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure section 2031, defendant ______, demand the plaintiff ________ produce and permit inspection and copying of the documets described below on (Month, Day, Year) at (Time) the (Location).

The documents to be prodced are:
    1. Any and all documents which substantiate the claim for _____

2. Any and all documents which substantiate the claim for _____

(etc, any doctuments which relate to what you are trying to discover.)

Dated:

Signature
    Typed name and position(in pro per)

Above section is from California. You need to find the section and wording for you own jurisdiction
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Actually you don't need to do anything more than send the attorney a letter stating you need verification of the debt. Send a copy to the court. The letter should accompany a copy of your notice of Intent to Defend that you send as a response to receiving the summons.

The attorney knows that he has to verify the debt or he will lose his case. If he doesn't produce the documents prior to the hearing he will have to produce them at the hearing. You will then be given time to review them.

So don't worry about "compelling" the attorney to produce the documents. The law already does that. But I doubt if a judge will issue a subpeona to produce the records prior to the hearing.
    -

Aug 17, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Yes, but in most cases, that validation is normally requested long before it reaches court level. Them filing the DEMAND FOR INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS with the courts also puts it on the court record that the document has been officially asked for. It seemed to me "eeeao" has asked for it and not received it yet; this way they have to produce it as well as any other supporting documents.

But each has their own methods

Aug 17, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cailleac Bhuer
    Yes, but in most cases, that validation is normally requested long before it reaches court level. Them filing the DEMAND FOR INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS with the courts also puts it on the court record that the document has been offically asked for. it seemed to me "eeeao" has asked for it and not received it yet; this way they have to produce it as well as any other supporting documents.

But each has their own methods
    Yes, in most cases the verification is requested when the summons is answered. And I also felt that the OP had already asked for them and they have not been sent.

That also is par for the course. In fact, in most cases the plaintiff does not have the documents. They are counting on the defendant to not answer so they can get a default judgement without producing documentation. Even if the defendant did not previously request the verification it can be requested at the hearing. But as long as the request is on record I wouldn't advise wasting time trying to compel the plaintiff.
    -

Aug 17, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Yeah, we all know how PDC's go. Good call. I just was offering an alternative is all as, if requested before the court level and the debtor does not have that, or it if it is not of court record, it is their (debtor) right to request it. I have knowledge of a case where a Penny Debt Collector is going after a person for a debt where the debt is not verified and is not the debtor’s ssn, though they have the same name... So, to me the production doc seems the best answer but every case and matter is different. Maybe eeeoa should try both, both seems the court file doc would have more impact on the opposing as well as the court I tend to think and feel as we are all humans and not machines even though working in t he court system... having worked the law from one end of the spectrum via peon meter maid, to the other of the robe, I appreciate fact i am now retired and can speak freely and anom and actually help a person who really needs it not all who need help can afford to pay for it, I am sym and empathetic to that fact of life. Given fact eeeoa states “I need to file a motion in the court to compel the attorney for credit card company to produce debt proof. Where can I find this form? Any help will be appreciated.” I tend to believe this matter is already in court litigation and the attorney for the creditor is failing to produce, hence my response.;)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Actually you don't need to do anything more than send the attorney a letter stating you need verification of the debt. Send a copy to the court. The letter should accompany a copy of your notice of Intent to Defend that you send as a response to receving the summons.

The attorney knows that he has to verify the debt or he will lose his case. If he doesn't produce the documents prior to the hearing he will have to produce them at the hearing. You will then be given time to review them.

So don't worry about "compelling" the attorney to produce the documents. The law already does that. But I doubt if a judge will issue a subpeona to produce the records prior to the hearing.

My personal experience has been once a person begins to "play lawyer" by submitting what they think are legally sufficient forms they destroy their own case.

Better to admit you're not legally trained, submit the letter, state clearly what you are seeking.

Aug 18, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    My personal experience has been once a person begins to "play lawyer" by submitting what they think are legally sufficient forms they destroy their own case.

Better to admit you're not legally trained, submit the letter, state clearly what you are seeking.
    Exactly! Especially in small claims court. Judges are more likely to give you leeway if you don't appear to know the legal forms. But if you try writing your own legalese you are more likely to be tripped up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Form should I use too request a motion to aside aside a default [ 14 Answers ]

In short, I was served divorce papers. I should have responded within 30 days but I didn't. It was suggested that I now need to file two different forms; 1. Response to the petition (FL120) 2. Motion too set aside default. Cant' find this form. Anyone know the exact name and FL number? I'm...

How do I submit a motion to produce an inmate [ 34 Answers ]

My husband is currently serving a violation on POST RELEASE SUPERVISION. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the case that was recently won by a parolee stating that the judge did not state in court to post on his minutes that he had POST RELEASE SUPERVISION. The state automatically added it...

Florida Law Of Civil Procedure ~ Motion To Produce - Motion For Trial [ 8 Answers ]

This lawsuit is regarding a cosigned loan originated in 1999 which we believe to have been satisfied in full. We also believe it's outside the SOL and many other things, but that's not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is current actions. On January 29, 2008 we filed two motions: 1....

Florida Law Of Civil Procedure ~ Motion To Produce - Motion For Trial [ 6 Answers ]

Our daughter is being sued by a collection agency for a debt she does not think she owes. We had a pretrial hearing this week whereby the plaintiffs attorney was present via telephonic hearing. That is to say, we were in chambers with the Judge, while the plaintiff attorney was on "speaker...

Slope-intercept form and standard form. [ 1 Answers ]

how do I find the slope intercept form of (-7,-4); m=-1/2 and the standard form of (-5,2);m=2/5 (16/3,-9);m=0 (3,-3);m=-3/8

View more questions Search