Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Our shower is leaking to the first floor !
    HELP~!

We have a bath/shower where you can take a shower and take a bath... but I don't know when it started, but when ever someone took a shower, the water leaked to the first floor! We didn't know right away but, the celling on the first floor started to change colors-_-; then started to leak! The water leaks only when we use the shower, when we take a bath nothing~ help!

Thank you in advance~
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1004
    HELP~!

We have a bath/shower where you can take a shower and take a bath.... but i don't know when it started, but when ever someone took a shower, the water leaked to the first floor! we didn't know right away but, the celling on the first floor started to change colors-_-; then started to leak! the water leaks only when we use the shower, when we take a bath nothing~ help!

thank you in advance~
    This places the leak in the tile grout. Tile grout shrinks over time and allows water to enter above and outside the tub where it will run past the dry wall and leak out onto the ceiling. To fix this note where the stream hits the tile when you're taking a shower and regrout the tiles in the area. Also regrout where the tub and the tile meet. Good luck. Tom
    1004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    This places the leak in the tile grout. Tile grout shrinks over time and allows water to enter above and outside the tub where it will run past the dry wall and leak out onto the ceiling. To fix this note where the stream hits the tile when you're taking a shower and regrout the tiles in the area. Also regrout where the tub and the tile meet. Good luck. Tom

But we regrouted(?) around the tub... and it still leaks~ and only the shower... we take baths in it once or twice a day, and there seems to be no problem... it's just when ever we turn on the shower... someone explaned to me it might be some cone looking thing inside the shower head... but having no experience with handy-work... I was to scared to do anything because I didn't listen carefully to what that person told me... ek people told me it might be an easy fix but I don't know what to cheak!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2008, 06:40 AM
    someone explaned to me it might be some cone looking thing inside the shower head... but having no experience with handy-work... I was to scared to do anything because I didn't listen carefully to what that person told me... ek people told me it might be an easy fix but I don't know what to cheak!!
    Let's take care of that right now. The chrome shower arm's threaded into a drop eared ell, (see image) behind the wall. The only time it's pressured is when the shower's running. If the shower arm threads were broken off in the drop eared ell that would give you the symptoms you describe. To check this you must remove the handle and face plate of the shower valve. Replace the handle and turn the shower on. Do you see water coming down from up above? If so you've located the source of the problem. Let me know what you find. Good luck, Tom
    bobo911 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I had the exact problem over the summer. After tearing apart the wall in the bathroom to get to the pipes to see if something let loose, I figured out it was just the grout directly under the taps that had to be re-grouted. Something so simple turned into replacing my bathroom wall and the ceiling in my bedroom. I had to cut a fairly large hole in my ceiling to let the water out and allow it to dry. There was a tun of water. You may have to do the same thing, mould is hard to get rid of if you don't take action. Hope this helps.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Check the upper trim on your tub overflow. It may be loose...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower floor drain [ 14 Answers ]

We have a leaking 2nd floor shower floor drain. It is directly located underneath a recessed light fixture right on the foot of our stairs leading to the second floor. A plumber did the job about a year ago. The access is very tight (through the recessed lighting hole. He replaced the old...

Tile shower floor leaking [ 1 Answers ]

Maybe someone has some insight. I just redid a tile shower floor. My first one. I feel I did everything correct but have a leak. It seems the water is coming from around the drain body when I look from below(it's damp right by the edge of the drain body). I tore the existing tile, lead pan,...

2nd floor Shower leaking down to basement [ 9 Answers ]

The shower stall upstairs is leaking down to our basement. I noticed that the leak runs down along the main drain pipe. Is this a grout problem or something related to the actual drain? The water that runs down on the actual perimeter of the drain pipe. And it's a good amount of water that runs...

Shower Stall is leaking through the floor [ 11 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house. We've had two chronic issues lately. The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain. Last night we developed a...

View more questions Search