Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedDragon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Laser eye surgery
    Has anyone had it done and what are the benefits and/or side-effects of this type of procedure.After wearing glasses for 20 plus years and dealing with the problems of glasses, breakage,losing them,struggling to see without them when I wake up.. etc... I am thinking of having it done so I'd like some input.

Cheers,

RedDragon
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 04:58 AM
    A dozen people I know have had it done, and 3 of them still have to wear glasses. Just did not work for them. There are no guarantees.

They were all at least 2 years ago, so maybe some doctors DO have a guarantee nowadays, but it's sure worth asking about when you're shopping around for who to do it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Hi,
    Two or three friends have had laser surgery, helped them greatly. But, it depends on what the issue is with the eye.
    Please talk with your Doctor, get all the information you can. Even a second opinion from another Doctor would be good.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2006, 06:59 AM
    I had similar surgery many years ago. It was before they used lasers, when they actually used a scalpel. My vision went from 20-200 to 20-40. Enough so I no longer needed glasses for everyday use.

Since then the technology has improved greatly. Most surgeons that offer the procedure will provide a free exam and consultation. They will fully explain the procedure, the risks and the potential side effects.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2006, 10:21 PM
    Don't know what her vision numbers were, but my wife used to sleep with glasses under her pillow at night so she could find them in a hurry if she needed to get up. Not legally blind, but close enough. HATED hearing those things get knocked out of bed in the middle of the night... always meant I had to get up and dig them out, as she couldn't see them.

Surgery went great. Fantastic vision. Was 20/15 right after for a few months, then dropped to 20/20.

She had this about 5 years ago. Shopped around for a doc who had done lots of them and she was comfortable with. Now many docs have done this many many times... I'm sure the procedure is only better.

She will tell you it was some of the best money she ever spent.

Talk to a doctor (or a few) to get a feel for the risks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laser Hair Removal for dark skin [ 2 Answers ]

I'm medium brown asian... want to remove my facial hair permanently... my skin is sensitive... I've heard that laser hair removal is only for those people who have light skin with dark hairs... what can I do to remove my hairs... coz I'm afraid of doing threading on my face because it could give...

Laser Printer not Printing [ 2 Answers ]

First of All MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.. Having problem printing on my HP 2600n Laser Jet Printer.. Tried re-connecting (USB) the printer but still no luck & it keeps on showing the OFFLINE status... Please advise...

View more questions Search