Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Duecey93 Posts: 207, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Which router is the best?
    Which one of these routers is the best and or the best for my 20 gb playstation3 (they're all wired):

1. Dynex 4 port ethernet broadband router

2. D-Link EBR 2310

3. Startech BR4 100dc 4 port 10/100 broadband router

Also what are some cons to these routers?

If none of these are not that great then what are some routers that are?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
    My $0.02:

The only consumer grade routers I have any experience with are two Linksys WRT54Gs and the freebie Westells and Actiontecs that come with the local telco's DSL service, all in a small and medium business setting. I haven't had any issues with the Westells or Actiontecs. The Linksys-es worked when they worked. When they didn't work, they got rebooted - I got tired of rebooting them. I do not buy DLink or Startech anymore due to prior experiences with their other products, yet I'd favor DLink over Startech. Also see D-Link Gaming Routers Recommended by Sony Playstation.

If I was shopping for a home router, I'd look for an old Cisco or Adtran model off Ebay, etc. use the freebie that came with the broadband service until it pissed me off, or stick Linux on an old box. What's your budget/tolerable headache ratio? The least expensive thing to do is use what came with your broadband until you have a reason to do otherwise.
    Duecey93 Posts: 207, Reputation: 3

Aug 15, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Less than sixty dollars
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 12:16 AM
    Of your three choices, the DLink has a decent rating on Newegg.com, free shipping, and a rebate so at least you won't be spending much money.
    sonny3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Duecey93
    Which one of these routers is the best and or the best for my 20 gb playstation3 (they're all wired):

1. Dynex 4 port ethernet broadband router

2. D-Link EBR 2310

3. Startech BR4 100dc 4 port 10/100 broadband router

Also what are some cons to these routers?

If none of these are not that great then what are some routers that are?
    Sorry none of them is worth a tinkers d__n The best is the Linksys wrt54gl.y1.1... fast packett retreival,no hickup in srteaming vidio!Believe me I've gone through them all! In time they end up in the trash(((
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 5, 2008, 05:55 PM
    1-1/2 cents worth... inflation you know.

You get what you pay for. None of them are really high dollar. I use the LinkSys at home and reboot it once a month. No biggie for me except when the wife gets mad.

Cisco is the best bar none. I have also used the Addtran and they were OK without troubles.

Keep your firmware up to date once in a while. I have seen improvements over the years with my LinkSys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Ed' s router [ 1 Answers ]

How would you hook up a wireless router to your system when you already have 2 router in place (1) for telephone (2) road runner ----this so I can use my new laptop in another room

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

CNC Router [ 2 Answers ]

We are using WINCNC. Is there something better? We have a Warthog CNC router, but the manufacturer's tech support isn't helping us very well. We checked the resolution and backlash compensation, but our cuts are out of the path at at the entry and withdraw points of the lines. A straight line...

2 router lan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm at a complete loss here... Net goes into a 4 port Netgear router. 3 ports are directly connected to computers, one runs down to another room. In that room is a lynksys router, that used to be a 3Com hub. The line from the netgear goes into the router, then 2 computers are attached...

View more questions Search