Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msudarsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Correct tax status and options
    Hi,

I am not clear about the best tax status to choose (if at all I have the option), so any help would be appreciated.

I moved to New York City along with my wife from London, England on July 1, 2008. I am on an L1 visa and she is on L2 (she does not work currently). The move is intended to be long term / permanent.

I also came to New York in June for a period of 8 days (both travel in/out days inclusive - though I am not sure whether to include travel days or not for calculation purposes). I also travelled out of the US for a period of 6 days in August (both travel in/out days inclusive).

Should I file as resident or dual status (or non resident? ) for 2008. If so, should/can I file as married / single? Which would offer the best advantages? Is my wife's status resident / non resident?

Some more info: I am Indian (not sure whether that changes anything) and for the period Jan 1, 2008 - Jun 30, 2008, I was paid GBP48,500 ~ $95,500 on which I have paid taxes in the UK.

Thanks for your help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 09:32 PM
    You should file joint tax return as residents. On the resident tax return, both of you must report your worldwide income even income in the UK. You will claim foreign tax credit by filing form 1116. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Second choice is file dual status. On the dual status tax return, you will not report your UK income, but you will also not get standard deductions for both of you (total $11,100).

You can also deduct moving expenses. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
    You can also file a joint return as resident aliens, and use Form 2555 to EXCLUDE the UK income, provided you meet the criteria.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

H1b and F1 couple, what is the correct filing status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently started work on an H1b visa at the beginning of October. My wife started college on an F1 visa at the beginning of July. We both had UK earnings up to July 2007, on which all UK taxes were paid. I need some help on how to file for US income tax, and what allowances I...

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

View more questions Search