Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flowersn220 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 12:41 PM
    How to find leak
    I have noticed that water runs down to the first floor through the light when we take a shower. It doesn't happen all the time. I think we just might need to re-caulk the shower towels. However, now I have a farily large water bubble, not in the same place as the light but a little further to the left. Could it be the water leaking through the shower towels? How can I find the leak that is causing the water bubble.
    '
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Before you can begin to repair the leak you must first locate it. Some tests should be done before you open up the ceiling. Let's start with the drain. Before you go to bed remove the strainer and put some wet rags in a baggie and stuff them down the drain to seal it off. Now run about a inch or so of water in the shower floor and let it set over night. Make a pencil mark at the water level. Next morning check the mark and your ceiling. Water level down? Ceiling wet? No? Then let the water out and check the ceiling again. Still no wet on the ceiling? If the ceiling stays the same then it's a pretty safe bet the shower drain,trap and drain line's OK and the ceiling won't have to be opened up.
    This places the leak in the tile grout. Tile grout shrinks over time and allows water to enter above and outside the shower pan where it will run past the pan and leak out onto the floor. To fix this note where the stream hits the tile when you're taking a shower and regrout the tiles in that area.
    Good luck, tom
    flowersn220 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Thank you speedball1. However, does it matter that the shower is in the tub. When we take baths for run water for the tub, there is no leak. Only when we use the shower.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flowersn220
    Thank you speedball1. However, does it matter that the shower is in the tub. When we take baths for run water for the tub, there is no leak. Only when we use the shower.
    Ah Ha! (Light bulb lights up over head!) You're in luck. Unless it falls down you won't have to open up the ceiling to locate the leak. This places the leak in the tile grout. Tile grout shrinks over time and allows water to enter above and outside the shower pan where it will run past the pan and leak out onto the floor. To fix this note where the stream hits the tile when you're taking a shower and regrout the tiles in that area. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Hi All:

Just wanted to pop in and make sure that flowersn220 also remembers to check the shower arm where it connects into the plumbing behind the wall.

Here, you pull the shower arm flange away from the wall and run the shower for a minute or so... look in hole in wall and see if you see a leak at where the shower arm joins the drop ear elbow (see picture below).

If unable to determine if this is leaking by just sliding the shower arm flange away from the wall then you may need to remove the handle and trim plate from the tub/shower valve itself and then run the shower and see if any water drips onto the tub/shower valve from above when the shower is being used.

Anyway... just want you to check the valve itself. Like Tom said, most likely the grout joints... but check the tub/shower valve and fittings above the floor too.

Good luck...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot Find Water Leak [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a house and lived in it for 2 days. It was probably built in the 1970's. This water leak seems to appear only when taking a shower in the downstairs masters bathroom (inside bedroom). The shower was running and the toilet (in the same room) made this gurgling sound. I flushed it...

How to find and repair leak from roof or skylight [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed some water streaks on the wall below one of my skylights in the ensuite. Also, there is a bit of a bulge in the drywall on this same wall. I'm not sure if it is the skylight or my cedar shake roof. How do I determine where this leak is from and how do I repair it?

Can find no reason for massive water leak [ 3 Answers ]

I was away from my house for about 6 weeks and came home to a flooded basement. While I was gone the city turned my water off for excessive use (370,000 gallons in 30 days). Here is the problem, I turned the water back on and there is no water leaking. There is no sign of breaking, no sink faucets...

How can we find a leak in our house? [ 1 Answers ]

The pressure drops to nothing on our combi boiler within an hour of pressurising it. The plumber says it is because we have a leak somewhere in the house but we can't find one. He says that there is at least a kettle full of water being lost somewhere in the house for the pressure to go down as...

Can't seem to find leak from tub [ 7 Answers ]

OK well I just bought a house that was built in the 60s and the tub/shower was falling apart. The grout that held the platic tiles on the wall had dried up and started to fall off. Day by day I would lose more tiles so I went to the home improvement store and bought a tub/shower wall kit. I ripped...

View more questions Search