Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluejay60 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Computer powers on but will not boot
    My computer will power on but nothing happens after even with the xp cd in the drive and I have the bios to boot from cd rom I'm thinking it could be the bios chip the motherboard is SY-7VBA-133 thanks for any help
    T76 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 10:57 AM
    What is the screen saying once it boots? Does it get an error in the bios?

Aug 15, 2008, 06:07 AM
    When I push the power button computer comes on the monitor screen is black

Aug 15, 2008, 06:10 AM
    No errors no beeps
    Roborat Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Aug 15, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Are you sure the computer is connected to the monitor correctly or the monitor is plugged in? I know it sounds silly but it might just be a loose cable...

Aug 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
    I'm sure everything is hooked up and connected good
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Aug 16, 2008, 06:34 AM
    The user guide for your motherboard (google "bios SY-7VBA-133") says that no beep means the CPU and motherboard are not working at all. Which means your motherboard is probably toast.

Aug 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
    That's not good lol thanks for your help
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Before you write the motherboard off, unhook/remove all unnecessary devices (hard drives, CD-Roms, sound cards, etc.) and see if board will boot to POST with only processor and minimum RAM installed. Also verify power supply is good.

Aug 18, 2008, 04:14 PM
    OK I will do that thanks

Aug 18, 2008, 05:21 PM
    I let go everything no sound I was thinking it was the bios I don't have a power pack right now to try

Aug 20, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay60
    my computer will power on but nothing happens after even with the xp cd in the drive and i have the bios to boot from cd rom i'm thinking it could be the bios chip the motherboard is SY-7VBA-133 thanks for any help
    I let go everything no sound I was thinking it was the bios I don't have a power pack right now to try
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Aug 20, 2008, 08:07 PM
    At least try cleaning it out the dust, esp in the fans.
    kajatamu Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2008, 10:52 PM
    I guess that is the problem with your BIOS setting. Have you modified the BIOS before you got this problem? If so, you should reset your BIOS to its default setting.

Aug 25, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay60
    my computer will power on but nothing happens after even with the xp cd in the drive and i have the bios to boot from cd rom i'm thinking it could be the bios chip the motherboard is SY-7VBA-133 thanks for any help
    I can't get into the system to do anything

Aug 25, 2008, 12:36 PM
    There's a user guide for your motherboard here. Note the troubleshooting instructions on pp. 17-19.

I've sometimes found that problems of this sort can be fixed by replacing the Lithium battery on the motherboard - there's no guarantees, though, and if it doesn't work you're out the cost of the battery.

Aug 25, 2008, 04:30 PM
    I understand your problem, bluejay. This might be a problem with your BIOS. You should reset your BIOS by replacing your motherboard jumper a few second, and place it again to its original place. If this don't work, try replacing your CMOS battery. See motherboard manual to do these things.

Aug 25, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kajatamu
    If this don't work, try replacing your CMOS battery. See motherboard manual to do these things.
    That would be the manual and battery I just mentioned a few hours ago. :)

Aug 25, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Yes, I'm sorry vingogly. Thanks for the quote. I just want to add your solution so it become the better solution for bluejay. Sorry if it makes you feel bad.

Aug 26, 2008, 03:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kajatamu
    Yes, I'm sorry vingogly. Thanks for the quote. I just want to add your solution so it become the better solution for bluejay. Sorry if it makes you feel bad.
    No problem. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer Desktop powers briefly and shuts [ 1 Answers ]

My desktop power power on briefly and shuts, I observed the fan on CPU turns on when I switch button on and then fan stops. I replaced the CPU ( Intel/Celeron)fan recently, after this problem started

Computer will start in safe mode, but powers down in other modes [ 2 Answers ]

Well, the title pretty much says it all. This just started happening tonight. The computer powers down on start up after the "Windows" screen comes up and the status bar starts chugging away. I can start up fine in Safe Mode. Any ideas as to how to fix my problem? I've got a big project I...

Computer Will Not Boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario SR1214NX that will not boot. Until recently, the computer ran fine with two internal hard drivers installed, but then I started getting the message "NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART". In the past, this meant my hard drive boot order had somehow...

Can't reinstall XP - computer powers off [ 2 Answers ]

OK, I either made a major mistake, or I have a hardware problem, maybe. I have reformatted my hard drive using a WINME startup disk. After fdisk, there are two partitions, P1 is active, assigned type NTFS, status of "A", 38gig, system is blank, 100% usage. P2 is labeled "C", no status, type is...

View more questions Search