Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmbenz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Transporting a Refrigerator
    I have purchased a 3 year old GE Side by Side Refrigerator. I am picking it up tomorrow and I was told that I could lay the fridge on the side while transporting it as long as I stand it upright for about an hour before I plug it in at home. This will allow the refrigerant to settle and would not harm the fridge. Is this correct or am I correct in assuming that you should NEVER lay a refrigerator on its side or back while transporting it? Your reply will be greatly appreciated.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
    They say the newer refrigerators you can do just as you said you can lay the fridge on the side while transporting it as long as I stand it upright for about an hour before I plug it in at home

It was the refrigerators from many years ago that you could not lay on their sides.
    I think they changed it around the time the side by side refrigerators got popular.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Always keep a refrigerator upright.

Two reasons.

First, the compressor has oil in it. If you lay it on it's side or back, the oil can run into the coils. After standing it back up, the oil may or may not be able to run back down into the compressor. It all depends on the shape of the coils. Take a look at coils and you will see what I mean.

Second the compressor motor, which is inside the "can", sits on springs to reduce vibration. Turning it on it's side may break a spring. Ever heard a refrigerator or A/C motor go "clunk" when its starts or stops? That's caused by a broken spring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yard Machine won't start after transporting it! [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My Yard Machine 12.5 HP tractor always started without a problem. In fact, it has a new battery and a new starter. I put it on my truck and moved it to a new location and now it won't start or turn over! Any suggestions. Also, the owner's manual says I should check the fuse. ...

Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

How to you prevent ice cubes from sticking together up In the automatic ice maker basket. Does a freezer have a defrosting unit, like a refrigerator. How does a freezer maintain the same temperature with A defroster?

Refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a haier refigerator that the fan don't work model #is HTE10WNAWW. SERIAL# IS K2001000326. IS THAT A SOMETHING I COULD DO MYSELF OR HIRED A PRO. THANKS

Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

What actually happens to a refrigerator if it is laid on its side or back ? Is that a myth or does it ruin it?

View more questions Search