Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kanti_shah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Connecting VAIO laptop to external Samsung LCD TV
    I have connected my VAIO VGN-TX770P laptop to Samsung LCD TV using a 15-pin SVGA cable. The TV fails to recognize PC input. I found updates to Intel chipset drivers and VGA events service utilities and installed both of them, but no success. I have found no BIOS update. Samsung support tells me that this is a known problem with Sony, and I need a BIOS update. It uses Phoenix BIOS. Can anyone help me on what to do?
    ozmum4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 04:20 AM
    It would be a problem with the setting for the screen in the laptop, if you go to control panel, Appearance and themes, Then change screen resolution, then check Display in the middle of the screen or go to advanced and check the drivers or Troubleshoot should help
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 07:06 AM
    On my laptop, I have to press a special combination of keys to tell the laptop to switch to external display. Until I do that, it's a dead port.

On my laptop it's FN-F4.

On your laptop there should be a colored FN key along the spacebar row. Hold that down while you press the key marked with a picture of a monitor in the same color as the FN key. It's probably one of your function keys.

Pressing that key combination toggles through 3 possible modes:
    1) laptop display only
    2) external display only
    3) display on both as 2 separate screens

In the 3rd layout, you can actually have different things on the external display than what's showing on your laptop, like when running PowerPoint in Presenter Mode.

Aug 14, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmum4
    It would be a problem with the setting for the screen in the laptop, if you go to control panel, Appearance and themes, Then change screen resolution, then check Display in the middle of the screen or go to advanced and check the drivers or Troubleshoot should help
    Thank you. I have already tried changing resolutions. My TV supports 1024 X 768 resolution among others. That did not work. Lower resolutions have not worked either. Called Samsung. They told me this is a known issue with Sony VAIO bios, however, there is no update for biod for this model. A driver agent inspector software reported that Phoenix bios has an update, but don't know where to get it from. I have another VAIO laptop (VGN-FS540P), and on that one a bios update was available. After installing bios update, along with DLL update utility and VAIO event services from Sony support site, that laptop interfaces OK with Samsung TV. The troubles continue with VGN-TX770P model.

Aug 14, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    On my laptop, I have to press a special combination of keys to tell the laptop to switch to external display. Until I do that, it's a dead port.

On my laptop it's FN-F4.

On your laptop there should be a colored FN key along the spacebar row. Hold that down while you press the key marked with a picture of a monitor in the same color as the FN key. It's probably one of your function keys.

Pressing that key combination toggles through 3 possible modes:
    1) laptop display only
    2) external display only
    3) display on both as 2 separate screens

In the 3rd layout, you can actually have different things on the external display than what's showing on your laptop, like when running PowerPoint in Presenter Mode.
    Thanks.
    On my Sony VAIO VGN-TX770P laptop, the key combination is Fn-F7. I have tried that, but had no effect.
    vipinisac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 12:00 AM

Try This...
    Cable Specs:
    Use 14 Pinned BAFO VGA Cable. ( Male to Male)
    The Second Row 4th Pin will be disabled as shown in Pic below.

.. .
    .. .
    .. .

BAFO is a Brand Name, similarly you can try Vessa, IBM too..
    Do not use localy made HD 15 or DE 15 cable, it does not work.

How to Connect:
    1) Connect the VGA cable to your Laptop ( Switched On) and to your TV ( Switched Off ) ( Only for the first time).
    2) Switch on your TV.
    3) Press Source, PC will be auto detected, the TV screen will be blank
    4) Right Click on your comp, go to Graphic Properties, (You will see multiple Display enabled , select Twin Radio Button.
    5) Keep Your Primary as Note Book and Secondary as Laptop. Apply the settings.
    6)Press Function + f4 in your Laptop
    7) There you are , your TV and Laptop are synced

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vaio compatabilty with Samsung LCD [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to connect my VAIO Laptop - VGN-FS115B to my Samsung LCD television without success. It would appear that my laptop it not sending a signal to the television. Has anybody else encountered this problem.

Connection between Vaio fe31m & Samsung lcd with a vga cable [ 1 Answers ]

Cannot make the connection between vaio fe31m & Samsung lcd with a vga cable. I have tried all sorts of screen resolution, mixes and normal connection. Can anyone help?

HOW DO I connect MY Samsung LE32R8 to sony vaio VGN-N21E/W ? [ 1 Answers ]

:) I want to connect my sony vaio VGN-N21E/W to my Samsung LE37R8 I planned to use the answer for a different question (different models) but each update is specific to the vaio model. The TV says no signal but I see my desktop for a split second Please help

Connecting my sony vaio ar11m to my Samsung lcd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Can I use a HDMI cable between the two to get a connection ? Because it doesn't seem to be trsansfering over the image Thanks

Compatibility between Samsung LCD TV and Vaio notebook? [ 22 Answers ]

It did not work when I tried connecting my Sony Vaio VGN-FE660G notebook To Samsung LN-S4692D LCD TV using a monitor cable. So I wonder if there is any compatibility problem between these two? Thanks a lot.

View more questions Search