Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelcake12 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Cold sore?
    I've had this cold sore for awhile now...
    It has gotten smaller bu it still irritates me and I really can't openmy mouth or it'll split.
    I know a lot of you will say not to touch it or keep it moist.
    But Ive haven't and it is taking forver.
    So any ideas on how to get rid of it faster?
    Or Products tha make it go away real soon.
    Any answers greatly appreciated.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
    The best thing for cold sores is lysine.
    GNC and other health food stores sell a lysine ointment.
    angelcake12 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Does it make them go away?
    And if so how fast?
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
    I had a mild cold sore and it went away in less than a week with the lysine.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I've heard that salt water helps, but I'm not sure.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Yes salt water would help but it can burn a bit when it is applied.
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Aug 15, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Go to the Dermotologist. He/She will most likely give you a prescription for Valtrex which works a million times faster than anything over the counter.
    bsd_tector Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Nov 25, 2008, 01:21 AM

Hydrogen peroxide and then dab some DMSO on it. Workd better than pharmies.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2008, 07:40 PM

Ok, I'll give you my home remedy for cold sores. It's 91% isopropyl alcohol. Yep. You'll hit the ceiling when it is first applied, but your cold sore will go away within a day or so. The second time you apply the alcohol with a cotton ball or Qtip it won't hurt as much. I usually do at least 3 applications one right after the other until the owey sensation goes away. Then I know I've "killed" the virus until tomorrow's application. I do this at least twice a day. I've tried everything over the counter and this is the only thing that works and works quick. I don't go to doctors, haven't in years.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 07:46 PM

Next time you feel that burning sensation and realize there will be a cold sore there soon, grab an ice cube and put it directly against the spot for ten minutes or so. Wait ten or fifteen minutes and do the ice cube thing again. Continue for at least an hour. If you feel the burning sensation again later, go through the whole process again. It works for me (and I first read about it on a medical site).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 06:05 PM

Wondergirl - Sure, once you scrape yourself off the ceiling the first time you don't seem to mind it at all. The alcohol also works wonders for athlete's feet as well. It must be the 91% though or it won't work. Stumbled onto this remedy from a foreign friend who used it all the time as where she is a drug store is not too handy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red tender sore on the top outter skin of his ear it is very sore to the touch [ 2 Answers ]

My dad has a red tender sore on the top outter skin of his ear it is very sore to the touch It leaks puss like yellow fluid all day. When he touches it, it hurts for minutes after He is in the sun a lot so he thinks it might be cancer. Would cancer have these symptoms also What do you...

Cold and drafty from ceiling mounted cold air return [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a adobe style home built in 2000 with a Single Roof Mounted combined HVAC system in the Albuquerque New Mexico Area. Directly below the HVAC is the only cold air return duct work located in the ceiling of the Hallway on one end of the Home. A single Thermostat for the entire...

Cold sore Medication [ 5 Answers ]

Ah Ive been sick since Thursday and Usually get Cold sores when I'm sick So far I've Got 3 I had 1 at First fell asleep and got 2 and the same thing happened again and now I have 3 I was woundering if anyone knows a type of Medication Or Home remedy that can help me out? I've tried blistex and...

Cold sore [ 10 Answers ]

I have had cold sores before, although I don't get them very frequently. Whenever I did have a symptom that a cold sore was coming, I would normally feel like a dry spot on my top lip. Now I noticed a small red spot like close to the inside of my top lip. I'm thinking it's a cold sore, but not...

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

View more questions Search