Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psmith1111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Wiring a New Bathroom Fan
    Need a master bedroom bathroom fan to control humidity. New install and plan to have a timer vs a switch. Have one light fixture on wall over bathroom medicine cabinet. This fixture is controlled by a switch located just outside of the bathroom and there is 1 black wire in and then 1 out, so I suspect power goes to light first.

Also have one wall plug. I have a bathroom just below on the first floor with a GFI plug. I think the GFI plug there is connected to the MB bathroom and then goes on to the kids BR. 1 GFI plug connected to 2 others as a way for the builder to save money I guess.

Plan to install fan in MB bathroom ceiling vented through insulated attic space to soffit. Fan will not have a light.

Key problem for me is where to tap power from. I don't think I can tap from the light fixture and won't adding a run from the GFI circuit interrupt the last receptacle in the chain. Lost! Any suggestions, with diagrams of course? Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 02:50 PM
    The outlet in the MB proibably is protected by the GFI in the downstairs bath. You could pull power from either the outlet or the light. Probably easier from light. Run 2-conductor cable from light to fan ceiling box. Run 2 conductor cable from ceiling box to switch box. That way you only have to get wires through top plate of walls, not through studs. Only outlets have to be GFI protected.
    psmith1111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    The outlet in the MB proibably is protected by the GFI in the downstairs bath. You could pull power from either the outlet or the light. Probably easier from light. Run 2-conductor cable from light to fan ceiling box. Run 2 conductor cable from ceiling box to switch box. That way you only have to get wires thru top plate of walls, not thru studs. Only outlets have to be GFI protected.
    I assume I can tap into the GFI circuit by running a white wire to the fan and then a black wire to the timer and then to the black or hot side of the outlet. Anything wrong with this plan?
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Aug 14, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Your bathroom receptacles should be on a circuit with nothing else like they appear to be now. That's what code says. If it were me I'd take power from the lighting fixture.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 11:25 AM
    The hot and neutral must run together in the sheathing. Therefore, you run both hot an neutral from the outlet or the light fixture to the fan in one cable. You then run a cable from the fan to the switch, one wire (the white marked as hot with black tape) takes the power to the switch and the black brings it back to the fan when the switch is on.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 14, 2008, 09:38 PM
    psmith1111,

Another suggestion, run from any convienent 120vac power source to the new fan, then

Get an 'occupancy sensor' mount it in the ceiling, wire it back to the fan. The fan will come

On every time someone is in the room. You wanted options right ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring an elecric towel rail & blanket underfloor heating in a bathroom, I know this has to be done to IEE standards trough a flex outlet & an external fused connection unit. I just looking for conformation on what height I should put the flex out let in the bathroom. I am in Scotland, I...

Bathroom Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have read as many bathroom posts as I could find but still have a specific question. First I want to reiterate what I have gathered. Please verify the following for correctness. 1. Outlets and lights must be on separate circuits in a bathroom. 2. All outlets must be GFI protected by breaker...

Need help wiring a bathroom? [ 6 Answers ]

I am installing a new bathroom in my basement and have a few questions. First a little information on the circuits. The bathroom will have 2 circuits. Circuit-1 = (2) GFCI's one on each side of vanity top. No lights, switches or appliances on this circuit. Circuit is dedicated only to the...

Bathroom wiring [ 2 Answers ]

First question was answered somewhat,here's the scenario,remodeling bathroom,ran 20 amp service,wired in fan/light .light is wired for use by itself.Fan,light in tub,shower,vanity light and three outlets [one outlet is gfci,20 amp rating. Would like to use 15 amp switch for general light,this is in...

Bathroom Wiring [ 7 Answers ]

I am in the process of putting in a full bath and had a question regarding the wiring. I ran a #12 and #14 from the breaker and intended on using the #14 for the bath fan/lights and the #12 for the GFI outlet. I want to also run the 12 gauge from this GFI to one I intend to install in the...

View more questions Search