Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albelle Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Why would you put both the date and reason in the same cell? That's going to make it much more difficult to determine what the date of the record is.

Why would you want a row with just a name in it? That just makes no sense to me.

Well that's just how they did it to begin with unfortunately. Since I can't "re-create" the spreadsheet, I'm afraid I'm stuck with trying to work with what they gave me. But it sure would be nice to figure out some way to save myself from having to go find all the old stuff manually 3 or 6 months down the road if possible.

Personally, I'm with you, I would've done it differently from the get-go, but my hands are tied.

Each row is for a different name. So if someone is always on time, their row will always be blank. But if a different person has a habit of arriving 15 min late every other day, their row would be showing a lot of dates/reasons in it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Let me see if I follow you. The spreadsheet has a ROW for each employee. You then add a column to the right of the name with both the date and reason?

If that's your structure, then it would take some complex VBA to loop through each cell in each row and remove the old entries.

I really thinki you need to change the structure of this cumbersome setup. You can always create a pivot table to display the data in the Row and column setup.
    albelle Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Let me see if I follow you. The spreadsheet has a ROW for each employee. You then add a column to the right of the name with both the date and reason?

If that's your structure, then it would take some complex VBA to loop through each cell in each row and remove the old entries.

I really thinki you need to change the structure of this cumbersome setup. You can always create a pivot table to display the data in the Row and column setup.

Yes, that's the correct structure. So there isn't a way to just make the spreadsheet search through all the columns for a date 3 months old that is combined with "tardy"? I wish I could change to some other setup, but my hands are tied unfortunately. The most I can hope to change is a formula or macro or something else that doesn't involve starting all over from scratch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot delete the tabs in my spreadsheet [ 3 Answers ]

I have tried everything to delete three sheets in my workbook. The document lets me do everything with the exception of deleting these three tabs. It is not encrypted or password protected. However, when I attempt to unprotect it, it asks for a password. Help! I have tons of data I need to...

I want to make my computer unable to receve or send wirless info [ 5 Answers ]

I have a built in wireless and I want to make my laptop so that it is steailth in other words I don't want a singal signal comeing from this laptop or going to it I want it dead no radio sigunals or other wise how do I accoplish this I plan on going out to the woods to live and I don't need a...

Upsetting info, but need to make a decision [ 12 Answers ]

So my ex (of almost 3 years) broke up with me about 5 weeks ago. There weren't very substantial reasons at the time as to why she did it, other than saying she was "unhappy". We recently met for the first time and things went well but said we shouldn't jump back into a relationship and need to at...

How can I make Furnace fan automatically turn off when heater turns off? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Thermo Pride OH5-85. There are two manual switches installed next to the unit. One turns on the heater one the fan. I'm unable to find out how to have the heater and fan respond to my thermostat. :confused: Currently if the manual fan switch is on and the manual heater switch is on...

View more questions Search