Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badnonsense Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Order of Electrical wiring
    HEllo: I have done a quick search of this sub-forum for my query and have not found anything that answers my question.

My question is:

What is the best practice for the order of wiring connections when connecting a device?

For example, using best practices, does one connect the neutral wire first; then the hot wire; and lastly the ground wire when making a connection {either live or not}?

Or,
    when using best practices, does one connect the hot wire first, then the neutral wire, and then the ground wire?

Thanks in advance for your reply. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 08:52 AM
    I think it all depends. BEST practice is to connect with power off. Then it doesn't matter.

Ground and neutral are at the same potential. You won't get shocked by a neutral wire, but open neutrals are something to be avoided. Transients are best avoided. Safety first.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 13, 2008, 08:54 AM
    I go grd, white, hot. Best practice is to have the power off!!
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Aug 13, 2008, 09:14 AM
    -If connecting: Grounding conductor, White, Hot---is the best way to go!
    -If disconnecting, then Hot (s) first
    Abyss777 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2008, 12:38 AM
    The order doesn't matter. What matters is to shut off power to the line at breaker and confirn with circuit tester. Blue flames out the elbow is not a good circuit tester.

Aug 14, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss777
    The order doesnt matter. What matters is to shut off power to the line at breaker and confirn with circuit tester. blue flames out the elbow is not a good circuit tester.
    Note to all electrical trainees, although the above is true if the power is off, try to work in the order I listed. Reason: We are in the business of making sure you follow the order I listed, so when you have to do a service change you are automatically programmed to cut the appropriate wire first. Trust me!! >>>>>In some cases we (electrical professionals) have to work hot.<<<<
    Abyss777 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2008, 08:54 AM
    My apologies to any electrical trainees that may have been mislead by my answer. Washington is correct in a hot situation. My answer was specific to a home disconnection after the service panel and it appeared the person asking the question was an amateur. The purpose of my answer was to stress the neccessity of confirming the circuit is dead before proceeding.
    badnonsense Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    -If connecting: Grounding conductor, White, Hot---is the best way to go!
    -If disconnecting, then Hot (s) first
    Thanks kindly for your answer. This is the answer that I was looking for re: apprentices. In addition to disconnecting wires and using the reverse sequence listed. Thanks. :)

I just wasn't too sure what the correct sequence was when using best practices to disconnect and connect electrical wiring.

@benaround: YOur answer also was appreciated as this is also the kind of answer I was looking for with respect to correct practices. Most especially related to apprentices in electricity. Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 01:43 PM
    DON'T do this, I have had to work on live so much, I regularly, and I DON't Recommend, With Metal Leatherman pliers(I have Kleins TOO)Remove ground first and hook up last, or shock may result. Neutral and Hot being second or third doesn't matter.
    Once Ground is removed, it is not grounded.
    Here's the footage of the High Voltage Line Worker:
    Helicopter High Voltage Cable Inspector

Aug 14, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Lets get off the topic that the OP posted for a second.

Strat,

-If you had to cut the ungrounded (working hot in this situation), and a grounded conductor at the service point, which would you cut first?
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
    I was talking about three wires to a receptacle. If I remove ground first then when I am holding receptacle, then I have No connection to ground, then I can touch live with bare hands and metal tools with the hot wire and feel no effect.
    Basically work it live, ground it cold, stay isolated, and Make or break no connections under load(with exceptions). This is NOT Normal electrical work.
    This is nothing compared to hopping on High Voltage Lines from a Helicopter.
    Both will Kill.
    Helicopter High Voltage Cable Inspector
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Washington.
    I would Cut the Hot first, if between the hot and neutral, Provided no load.

Aug 14, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Washington.
    I would Cut the Hot first, if between the hot and neutral, Provided no load.
    Thank goodness, you had me nervous! :D ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Washington, I have done stuff for the military, government, many people, I Take on the worst, Most dangerous stuff in the most difficult conditions/ worse situations.
    I have done many years, still Ok at 51. I don't plan on leaving yet. Thanks.
    I'm sure you do the same, Definitely not a do it yourselfer or Handyman thing.
    Procedure.

Aug 14, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Washington, I have done stuff for the military, government, many people, I Take on the worst, Most dangerous stuff in the most difficult conditions/ worse situations.
    I have done many years, still Ok at 51. I don't plan on leaving yet. Thanks.
    I'm sure you do the same, Definately not a do it yourselfer or Handyman thing.
    Procedure.
    It's an honor to see you are still pushing forward in the trade!

By the way, 51 isn't old at all! ;)

Aug 14, 2008, 05:29 PM
    To be honest, sometimes I think about closing down shop! Too much stress! Not to forget the way the economy is going--->>it just adds more stress!
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Sure not like it used too.
    Down here, I am competing with Electricians? That carry Cell Phones, and hire the cheapest labor and it shows. I does create work for me, I shouldn't complain.
    I do hate to see the customer paying twice.
    Plus as you mentioned, with the economy like it is, it can make people squeak when it comes time to getting paid, The work can be tough enough. Take Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a house with old electrical wiring that is still in good working order but I need to connect a receptial to it. How can I connect it successfully?

Electrical Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a pull chain switch to a fluoresent light. From the ballast there is a Black, White, on one side and a red wire and a blue wire on same side. On the other side, There are two reds and two blues. How do I connect the pull chain switch?

Electrical wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Will a 125 Amp wire fit through a 3/4" conduit? Thanks

Electrical wiring [ 23 Answers ]

How many wall plugs can be installed on one 15 amp circuit?

Electrical Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house with 2 electrical panels. The house was built in the 60s. I want to move the panel in the living room to the panel in the basement, an install with 200 amp service. How do I go about removing the panel in the living room to the one in the basement without doing a total...

View more questions Search