Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Do you have to get married in white?
    Me and my future mother-in-law, was going over some wedding plans, this is my first wedding by the way. She bacially tried to shut down all my ideas and I voice to he it's me and her son wedding and we would like for things to be done our way even though I valued her input.

I saw a nice wedding dress but I don't want it in white, I want it in ice blue instead which she don't understand and now she thinks I am weird. Me and my fiancée have no problem with it and he likes the color. My mother is okay with it but still think white is best. How anyone ever been to a wedding where the bride didn't wear white? Just curious!
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 13, 2008, 08:37 AM
    A white wedding dress is a holdover from the days when it was an embarrassment to be anything but 'pure' when wedded. Dresses other than white signified a 2nd marriage. These days the white dress is merely a matter of taste and another color carries no significance except for the couple's taste.

It's good that you continue to say you want MIL's input, but it is YOUR wedding. Wear the blue.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 08:39 AM
    You can wear whatever you want, even jeans, but just beware of the fact that to older generations a non white wedding dress is for non virgins... so that is what they may be see your non white dress as.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Everyone already knows I not a virgin because I have a daughter and currently pregnant now. That's won't be a shocker. We want to do anything non-traditonal because we want our weeding to held a lot of memories and be tons of fun. When my fiancée stated we have a halloween wedding and get married in costumes, the expressions on her face was priceless. I really don't care too much for a wedding and would be fine.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Yeah pick a theme and go with it like an out door bar b que, tropical isalnd, autumn, hobby, era, romantic, etc...
    Ratzilla Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Only virigns can wear white. It's a sign of purity. My cousin and her fiancé wore white to their wedding because they were both virgins.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Actually, wearing white does not signify virginity on your wedding day, it signifies that this is your first marriage. Wearing a veil signifies virginity. I did some research on this when I got married, that's what I found in etiquette books (didn't have internet back then);)

Having said that, it's your wedding, wear what you want.
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 03:03 PM
    I never knew wearing a veil means you're a virgin, I guess I won't be wearing one,lol. Thanks for the info.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 03:25 PM
    I myself just wore a head piece, no veil. ;)
    Ratzilla Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Actually, wearing white does not signify virginity on your wedding day, it signifies that this is your first marriage. Wearing a veil signifies virginity. I did some research on this when I got married, that's what I found in etiquette books (didn't have internet back then);)

Having said that, it's your wedding, wear what you want.
    I didn't know that. I thought it was white, since white signifies purity. If that's the case, a lot of women don't need to wear veils.
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Aug 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
    I'm going to wear a veil and I'm not a virgin. I just like the way they look. And as far as an ice blue dress I think that's awesome! I saw one on Ebay that was this amazing ice blue and I thought it was absolutely gorgeous! The fact is, now a wedding is more about you and your personal style than what it used to be. You can wear black and white ( like I am going to do), red, blue... anything you want. It's all about YOU and what YOU want. Hopefully you only do this once. So make it what YOU want it to be! You can't please everybody. And besides, they aren't wearing the dress... You are!
    joanne 1986 Posts: 165, Reputation: 7

Aug 20, 2008, 01:29 PM
    You can wear anything you like its just white is traditional.ive seen stories in magazines where people have got married in theme costumes like doctor who,and vampires! Its crazy I know but its your special day so if you want to wear a different colour you go for it.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 01:49 PM
    It is your wedding. Wear what you like. My girlfriend got married wearing the palest lilac and it was her first wedding - she just liked the look.

Just be polite and thank future MIL for her input and do what you like.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joanne 1986
    You can wear anything you like its just white is traditional.ive seen stories in magazines where people have got married in theme costumes like doctor who,and vampires!! its crazy i know but its your special day so if you want to wear a diffrent colour you go for it.
    That's funny because my future husband, wants to have a halloween theme like wedding and want us to get married in custumes but no vampire stuff. He wants to be papa smurf and have his father be a bunny and this and that. My mother likes the idea but I don't. I know if anything we both want a disco or 80's reception.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 29, 2008, 10:55 AM
    I wish I could see a bride who WASN'T in white! I say go for it and where what you love!

If I could have found a dress in my budget that had color, I would have worn it in a hearbeat. :)
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 11:10 AM
    It's your wedding - you can wear anything you want. People think that the white wedding dress came to be because it symbolizes purity/virginity. That is not true. Up until the 1930s, early 40s women wore colored dresses to get married. The tradition of white dresses developed from women being unable to afford bright colored material (white was cheaper).
    I am a wedding planner in NYC. I have seen it all. Hardly anyone wears all white now - at least not in NY. Many brides wear white dresses with bright colored accents. Some brides wear colored dresses.
    Do what makes you happy!
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Thank you for everyone responses. I know color is for expensive but I plan on making my own dress. I already have the design and I found some place that sells color and material I want. This weekend I going go see about it along with my mom.
    DonaldM_23 Posts: 86, Reputation: 10

Aug 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
    The color white represents pure... getting married is a new beginning... If you wore red or black I thing in the long run there might be some problems...
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Aug 30, 2008, 09:32 PM
    It's a color that reflects your personal style, not a sign of things to come :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erin7799
    It's a color that reflects your personal style, not a sign of things to come :)
    I agree color only reflects your style not the outcome of the marriage. I never heard that one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Little White White spots all over my arms. Monobenzone user [ 43 Answers ]

I have been using it for almost 2 weeks but not every day. I have started using it twice a day and then decided to slow it down and use it once a day. I have mixed the 20% with my body lotion and that's how I used it. At the beginning I noticed that my skin got brighter and no side effects and...

Bumps, white discharge, redness, itchy, some white pus [ 6 Answers ]

This hasn't been the first time but this time its not going away and I'm young and I don't want to see a doctor. Its very itchy and the bumps are red and swollen and hurt sometimes. They also bleed and I have A LOT of discharge. Its very uncomfortable. What could it be? Do I have to see someone? Or...

Black Bra/White Tee; White Bra/White Tee [ 17 Answers ]

Do you girls usually wear a black bra with a white t-short or do u wear a white bra with a white t-short? Or yellow tee w/ a black bra? Share. I don't get it

View more questions Search