Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alandis101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Light switch not working properly
    I have a problem with an in wall light switch that I have never run across before. I have a 2 light 4 foot fluorescent light fixture in my utility room that is turned on and off by a wall switch. I recently replaced the fixture with a new 2 light 4 foot fluorescent fixture. Once installed I attempted to turn the light on but it would not come on. I have replaced many of these in my lifetime and decided to rechecked the wiring to make sure everything was connected correctly. Every thing was connected properly. I then thought I had gotten a bad light and purchased another. After replacing it again, it would still not come on. I jiggled the wall switch back and forth it finally came on. I then thought I had a bad switch so I replaced the wall switch. The second wall switch did the same thing. Again I relaced the wall switch with a third switch with no change. Any wall switch that I use, I must jiggle the wall switch to get the light to come on. Can any one tell me what the problem is with the light switches? Why do I have to jiggle the wall switch to get the light to come on? The light switches that I have in my kitchen and bathrooms for my fluorescent light does not have this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 13, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Alan,

It could be that when you jiggle the switch you are really hitting the wirenut with the white
    Wires, and that connection needs to be fixed. Just a guess.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Are you grounding the fixture. Fluorescent light fixtures must be grounded to function peoperly. Check all your ground wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiators not working properly [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can please help. We have had problems with our heating system (2 years old) for the past 2 months and have had the people who installed it working to repair it. First the boiler stopped working properly. After a new pump, heat exchanger and circuit board were fitted, the boiler...

Light switch not working [ 5 Answers ]

I have a wall switch for overhead lights and it suddenly stopped working. If I use a circuit tester on the two exposed black wires, the little bulb on the tester lights up, but if I touch the two black wires together, the lights do not come on. I checked the bulbs and they are fine and I check...

Light Switch Not Working [ 1 Answers ]

One of our light switches is not getting any electricity. What could cause this and what needs to be done to fix this? We have already switched out our light switch and that did not fix the problem. Thanks! :confused:

Address bar not working properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am running windows XP and I have the address bar sitting underneath my start bar. It has been working perfectly until just recently. Now when I type in "cmd" it tries to open up the webpage "http://cmd/" rather than just opening up the command prompt window. I don't know why it has started...

View more questions Search