Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeusters Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Bios not seeing(?) bigger hard drive
    I have a used Compaq EVO n800v. I can install and run Windows 2000 on two different 6gb hard drives. When I try to install on a 30 and a 40gb hard drive the installation cd sees the whole 30 or 40gbs and loads onto the hard drive but when a reboot is needed to complete the installation it will not boot the hard drive. I have also tried installing Linux. Same thing. It will load and boot from the 6gb but when trying to boot from the larger ones I get an error 18. Looking around I found that this means the bios can not see anything bigger than a 8gb hard drive. These units were originally shipped with 20 to 60gb hard drives. I tried to reset the bios/cmos by removing the cmos battery for 48hours. I have flashed the bios with the latest version but still no change. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Compaq Evo Notebook N800v - North America/U.S. QuickSpecs confirms it shipped originally with up to 60 GB drive. So, verify BIOS setup has LBA mode enabled for hard disk.

Aug 14, 2008, 05:47 AM
    It has the most limited bios settings that I have seen. There is no option to enable LBA mode. Can't figure out how it must have had a bigger hard drive at one time and now will only see small ones.
    Hardware Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 03:04 PM
    This HP support document discusses an 8 GB limitation with hard drives larger than 8 GB installed in Multibay. Is that your configuration? If so, you need BIOS F.1B or later.

Aug 14, 2008, 05:15 PM
    I'm using a later bios than discussed there. The download is a later version and the later version shows up in the system info.
    It's F.24 . Wish I could find the version listed there. Might solve the problem.
    Hardware Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Have you talked to HP support?

Aug 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
    HPSupport says it's out of warranty. Take it to an authorized dealer. Big help they were.
    Hardware Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
    The F.1C BIOS on HP's website lists "Fixes error where FDISK could only see 8GB of 40GB and 60GB in the Multibay Hard Drive" as a fix. Sometimes old bugs work their way back into newer builds, have you tried that BIOS?

Aug 16, 2008, 07:04 AM
    I can not find any bios version to download except the latest.
    Hardware Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Are you on non U.S. site?

HP Website > Search field at top of page "evo N800v" > Product Quick Links "Software and Driver Downloads" > Microsoft Windows XP Professional > BIOS
    Attached Images

Aug 18, 2008, 05:31 AM
    That looks like what I need but it creates a bootable disk. I do not have a floppy drive. Do you know if it's possible to make a bootable cd from something like this? I know how to burn a iso file and create a bootable cd.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Hardware Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusters
    Do you know if it's possible to make a bootable cd from something like this?
    I keep a USB floppy drive for situations like this. I've attached a .ZIP file containing all of the files on the floppy that is created by the HP diskette creator. I had to name it with a .PDF extension to get this site to upload it as it was over the size limit for .ZIP files. Rename it FLOPPY.ZIP. I would guess the files could go on a CD just as easily although I've never tried doing it that way. I'm also not going to hold my breath that this BIOS version will be the fix. I suspect you'll need to take the laptop to a HP dealer.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Floppy.pdf (421.3 KB, 144 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Am I losing sex drive? Or bigger prob? (long posting) [ 3 Answers ]

Update after reading some replies: * I don't want to get excited with another woman. At most I look at some pictures on the web. Isn't this normal? Seriously. I still love her, more each day as I said. But sexual arousal is a little different right? And even looking at pictures I'm not the...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

BIOS/CMOS can find my second hard drive but Windows cannot [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, I installed windows on a 1GB primary master hard drive and that is working fine. And now I am trying to attach a 40GB Seagate as a primary slave hard drive to put music and pictures and games and document etc on it. But the screen that first comes up when you press restart (not sure...

View more questions Search