Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkgnair Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Intercast Marriage
    Hi,
    I am a Hindu and my girl friend is a Roman Catholic.. we are planning to get married and we would like to remain as hindu and a Christian. Either of us don't want to change our religion and we both are OK with it. Now my question is how can we get married both in a Church and a Temple, and where will we get our marriage certificate from? I have heard that I have to agree that we will raise the kid as christians if we want to get married in a church, is this true. How can we avoid all this complication and get married in peace.
    And after this.. when we have kids, both us want them to know both beliefs and when they have grown up let them decide which they want to follow - but the issue is with birth other office certificate which we need to fill up the religion of the Children.. how do we tackle this issue. Please advice :confused:
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 13, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Hello mkgnair

I can only tell you how I arranged my marriage many years ago.
    My wife is Roman Catholic, and I am Secular Humanist (a non-believer).
    We were married in church and at the Magistrate's Office (the later for the here valid tax reduction when being married at year end - not for RCC demands).

We had a talk with the priest, and I had to promise not to force my children to become Atheist. That was neither difficult nor a problem for me at all. However, I also made another arrangement. It was agreed upon that the children would only be baptized at the age of 12, if they wanted that.

And so it happened that all my three children were baptized when the first one became 12.
    One later became Deist, and another Secular Humanist, and one remained Roman Catholic.
    During these 12 years my wife taught the children about Roman Catholicism Christianity, and I taught them all other major religions, atheism, and agnosticism. We visited churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques.
    It was important to me to delay that baptism, as in my views it is up to the individual to decide if he/she wants to be baptized, to be part of whatever church, and not up to the parents.

I hope this is of any use to you. In many countries you can marry at the Magistrate Office, and in churches and temples. So I do not think you will have a problem with that.
    As to birth certificates : just fill in as religion "Deist" (the belief in a God or Gods). That includes any religion.

I wish you both many happy years and lots of loving years in wedded bless ! Congrats !

:)
    jerilak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Don't worry about all these.. or about the future...
    Just go ahead with what you have planned...
    There are a lot of intercast marriages and they are still living in peace..
    God will always be there with you to help you in needs..

Aug 14, 2008, 01:06 AM
    Hey thanks jeril

Aug 14, 2008, 01:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Hello mkgnair

I can only tell you how I arranged my marriage many years ago.
    My wife is Roman Catholic, and I am Secular Humanist (a non-believer).
    We were married in church and at the Magistrate's Office (the later for the here valid tax reduction when being married at year end - not for RCC demands).

We had a talk with the priest, and I had to promise not to force my children to become Atheist. That was neither difficult nor a problem for me at all. However, I also made another arrangement. It was agreed upon that the children would only be baptized at the age of 12, if they wanted that.

And so it happened that all my three children were baptized when the first one became 12.
    One later became Deist, and another Secular Humanist, and one remained Roman Catholic.
    During these 12 years my wife taught the children about Roman Catholicism Christianity, and I taught them all other major religions, atheism, and agnosticism. We visited churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques.
    It was important to me to delay that baptism, as in my views it is up to the individual to decide if he/she wants to be baptized, to be part of whatever church, and not up to the parents.

I hope this is of any use to you. In many countries you can marry at the Magistrate Office, and in churches and temples. So I do not think you will have a problem with that.
    As to birth certificates : just fill in as religion "Deist" (the belief in a God or Gods). That includes any religion.

I wish you both many happy years and lots of loving years in wedded bless ! Congrats !

:)
    Thanks a lot for the sound advice... will defintely look in to that too

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage at 18 [ 10 Answers ]

I'll be 18 in two weeks and Im a E-3 in the U.S Marines Corps and I leave to Iraq in June,my fiancée will be 18 in April and we want to get married in May, is that to early?!

Love marriage or arrange marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I have boyfriend but my parents want that I will do marriage with a boy of their choice.I really love my Boyfriend and he also love me. What should I do?

SSI and marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I receive SSI and was wondering if I get married would I loose my benefits. My Boyfriend only makes about 20,000 a year, there is no way we could make it With just his income. I am in a wheelchair and recently had a partial food amputation. I've had 2 hips replaced, an illeostomy, and survived...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé was put on probation almost 5 yrs ago. It was for a burglary that had taken place when he was 16. He is now 23 y/o and only 6 moths left on probation. We wanted to get married this winter, but his probation officer told us that she has to approve him to get married. I cannot find anything...

View more questions Search