Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 18, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Taking off Wallpaper to paint
    What is the best way to remove old wallpaper in a bathroom so I can paint and there isn't a bunch of glue left over? Someone told me to rent a steamer? Does that work?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
    We swear by what they call a Paper Tiger tool:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

It scores the paper through. From there, soak it down real good with mild soapy warm water... let that sit for half hour or so and the wallpaper will come off real easy. Once the paper is off, a good washing will remove the rest of the glue.

Yeah, they sell "d.i.f." as a solvent for undoing the glue, but I find warm soapy water works just fine.
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 18, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Thanks for the info, I will have to try that!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Truth is, you can do the same with a razorblade, but the Paper Tiger is much faster - and is designed to only score the paper as deep as the paper itself... a real time saver!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently removed vinyl wallpaper from my kitchen walls. It all came off beautifully, but now the walls feel bumpy from what I assume is the glue. I've tried to wash it off, but it just feels slick and sticky and dries bumpy again. Any suggestions? grace1

Stubborn Wallpaper [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into my house about a year ago and I've almost finished renovating all the rooms except the kitchen and dining room. I've decided to start this week and my first task is removing a wallpaper border. I used a scoring tool and then used a mix of hot water and Poly-Peel to loosen the...

Removing old old old wallpaper [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a condo I recently bought. The wallpaper is old and double layer. The wallpaper glue under the base layer is about 2mm thick and won't come off. I have used hot water spray, wallpaper enzymes and elbow grease. The wall board paper is coming off in chunks. Any suggestions...

Removing wallpaper [ 5 Answers ]

I recently bought my house.we are slowly remodeling the all the rooms.one room has wallpaper.it looks really old.I have no idea how I should remove it.a friend told me I could use fabric softern mix with water.is this true?I pull at the wallpaper there seems to be no other layers of wallpaper.any...

Wallpaper removal [ 1 Answers ]

I've already peeled the top layer of the wallpaper off and am left with the paper backing. I've tried DIF concentrate mix, letting it sit and resoak twice, I've tried the DIF gel, letting it sit and then I tried straight vinegar. Nothing seems to be easily taking the backing off, in addition...

View more questions Search