Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homeowner1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Electrical outlets stopped working
    Several electrical outlets in my house have suddenly stopped working. In the same room, one outlet continues to function while the other one died. I checked the circuit breakers and they are all on. Any ideas?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Loose connections. Probably due to backstabbing rather than pigtailing in the outlets. Take apart an inspect. Another possibility is a GFCI somewhere.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeowner1234
    Several electrical outlets in my house have suddenly stopped working. In the same room, one outlet continues to function while the other one died. I checked the circuit breakers and they are all on. Any ideas?
    Have you done any work in the house lately ? Hang any pictures, nail any drywall,etc.
    You see where I'm going with this.
    Do like KISS said and remember that it could be in an outlet that is working.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Remove one of the non-working outlets. If it is wired using the little holes in the back, remove and put under screws. This is what KISS is referring to about "back stabbing". This type of wiring is famous for developing bad connections after a period. Do all outlets and switches. The bad connection may be in one of the non-working outlets or it may be in the last working outlet.
    Abyss777 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Regarding some outlets working and some not in the same room. House wiring circuits are not always aligned by room. There may be different circuits feeding different outlets in the same room. Also Turn off main breaker at service enterance and check for corrosion or contaminant where breaker meets service box bar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement electrical outlet stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

A basement electrical outlet I use constantly for my fridge & microwave just stopped working all of a sudden. It's not getting any power at all. I've flipped all the breakers on & off because I'm unsure which breaker goes to that outlet but nothing. How am I to make sure the outlet's power will be...

3 Electrical outlets and a light not working. [ 2 Answers ]

Some time in the middle of the night last night Three of my outlets and the light in my bedroom stopped working. All were fine when I fell asleep. I checked the breaker and it's not popped. I switched it on and off and still nothing. Other outlets and a light on the same breaker are working. Why...

Electrical Outlets Not Working [ 1 Answers ]

I recently started updating outlets in my home. Three of them in the livingroom don't work. Actually one does, just the top plug. Interesting enough, this particular outlet has two ground wires instead of one like all the other outlets in the house. The outlets have two black and two white wires....

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

Electrical outlets not working [ 2 Answers ]

I was updating a rental property that I recently purchased and decided to replace the outlets and light switches as they had been painted over many times. Out of the 15 outlets I changed, four are not working and I have no idea why. A couple of them (the ones that are not working) are connected...

View more questions Search