Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mainestu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 07:41 PM
    GFI or GFCI Limit on one circuit
    I am wiring my own garage, and have searched the Nec codes on many areas. There seems to be some confusion with a detached garage as to the number of gfi outlets, whether all need to be or just some. My question is this: How many gfi outlets, or outlets protected by the one Gfi outlet can I have in a line on one circuit? I have heard it say 4 or 5? Is this true? I live in Maine, and I am wiring a detached garage, so I know some details are different then if it was attached. I just need to know if it is 4, then OK. If it is 5 then that is fine too! Just someone please give me the exact number so I can wire it... LOL

Thanks

mainestu
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 10:09 PM
    mainestu,

There is no number, only logic, if for example you were only going to have (1) 100w
    Work lamp as the only electrical load, then you could put 30 recpts. Around the building
    For your convenious. On the other hand, if you were to have lots of power tools, plug-in
    Heaters, air compressor, etc. you may want to put more circuits with a less amount of
    Recpts. On each.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New circuit for sump pump: GFCI or not? [ 9 Answers ]

I've had a lot of water and sewer problems recently. Long story short, I ended up with a sump pump in my basement (there never was one before). That basement area is unfinished. Currently, the sump pump is running off an extension cord. The pump manual specifies that it should be installed...

15A receptacles on 12/2 GFCI Circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I was just looking at some of the wiring that was done in my house when it was built in 2003. I have one GFCI Circuit that has 5 receptacles on it. On this, it is wired all with 12/2 to the garage first, where the receptacle is the GFI, then it runs 3 outdoor receptacles, and 1 in the basement. ...

GFCI Circuit Breaker. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently ran a branch circuit to the exterior of the house to add a receptacle on the patio. The existing 15 amp breaker protected a circuit that had only three plug outlets and one switched ceiling light. The circuit is very lightly used. So I want to add GFIC protection in the form of a breaker...

Wiring a switch and GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search