Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KRISTYg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 04:24 PM
    15 notice to terminate month to moth rental agreement
    I have a month to month rental and my landlady gave me a handwritten 15 day notice to terminate the agreement. I have already paid her through the end of November. What should I do?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 04:40 PM
    What did your initial lease say? Most cover going month to month. It should have something saying the term of the notice. Most are at least 30 days.
    If she has accepted rent through the end of November - then I would say she can't have you leave until the first of December unless she wants to give you all of your rent back.

Hopefully you have kept documentation of all rent paid and kept a copy of the original lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
    And why are they ending the lease. Is there some violation of the rental that is the problem are do they just want you out for some other reason.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 09:43 PM
    And is it really a month-to-month if you have paid through the end of November? The point of a month-to-month is that either you or the landlord can change your mind with a 30-day notice. That seems to be defeated if you have paid months in advance.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 12:39 PM
    I hope she gave you a receipt for what you paid through November.

Your lease should have something referencing the termination policy. If it doesn't, then your state has laws regarding the amount of time she needs to give you prior to terminating your lease.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe advance payment allows you to stay on the property; she simply has to provide you the notice and return your money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminate agreement to purchase land [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a period in which a person can terminate a purchase agreement?

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

How to terminate a Lease / Purchase agreement. [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are carrying mortgage on a home. The party that we are carrying the note for is now in default of the loan and the mortgage company wants to take over the house. How do we evict the people currently in the house? My husband and I are going to pay the past due mortgage...

Giving notice to a month-to-month tenant w/ no written agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I really want to move my current tenant out of the guesthouse. He never cleans and has an unsightly and dangerously huge pile of used computer parts, newspapers and old mail in the middle of the kitchen floor, despite being asked repeatedly to remove it. How much notice must I give him, and...

View more questions Search