Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowyfairychild Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Temporary Custody
    I am 16 years old and have been having a difficult time with family. My counselor from protective services has given me two of the "best" options. I would like to live with a family that I am very close to, which has been the most family-like group in my life. The counselor's first option was emancipation. That seemed scary; I'm still in school and am kind of worried about living alone as an adult at 16. The other was having my parents sign temporary custody rights (until I turn 18) to these people. I would much rather opt for the second choice. How would I go about this, and what papers would I need to have? What is involved in the process? Thank you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
    You really should go for the family situation because most likely you do not have a plan of supporting yourself if you choose emancipation. I am somewhat surprised the counselors would even give you this option because generally the stipulations are you have to have a job and show the Judge you are capable and so forth before he would consider emancipation

Your case workers and the family should handle the whole process and all you have to do is appear before the Judge and say that is your wish.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 06:47 PM
    I agree with Nohelp, it is a good choice to stay with family. You will need the person that will be responsible for you to help you start the process. Your councelor will be able to help to get you started. You will need to call social services. Good luck to you. Just keep your head up and stay on track with school;)
    ldyastrid Posts: 82, Reputation: 12

Aug 21, 2008, 08:54 AM
    You just need to tell the counselor that explained these options to you. The process is done through protective services / court services / DCFS. Have you been removed from your family home? I'm surprised you are even asking this question - this can only be taken care of by adults - You are still a minor. I'm glad you are not electing the emancipation route... keep your chin up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temporary custody [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine signed temporary custody of her son over to her sister while she was incarcerated.the sister was not taking proper care of child and came to visit and my friend the natural mother of the child would not let the baby leave with the sister.she brought the law up there but mother had...

Temporary custody vs final custody [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am the father of 2 16 month old twin girls, we went to court and I have temp custody. Mother is charged with domestic abuse. My question is.. if I have had temp custody for over a half a year and the kids are doing great, would it be hard for me to keep being custodial parent in joint custody...

Getting temporary custody? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: I am 18 years old I have a one and a half year old daughter and I married her father. Her father and I are separated no paperwork or temporary custody has been filed. The father has kept her away from me for a month now.. and he is just now letting me vist her and it is only...

Temporary Custody [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if temporary custody is given in one state(GA) then the child is taken out of state to (VA). Does GA. Still have jurisdiction over the case.

View more questions Search